SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

2011 project

noakesy

please explain luner 100 never heard that before

I've decided to do the Lunar 100 this year too, so I just finished googling it. The Lunar 100 is a list of 100 objects of interest on the moon. Here is the list:

Lunar 100

It's sorted from easiest to hardest. I can't wait to start it. Good luck if you decide to do it. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, the Lunar 100! ;)

My main project for the past few years, I started when It was first published in Sky and Telescope in 2004 (or was it 2003?). Charles A Wood has done a great service to Amature Astronomy! :)

I completed it in 2008 and then began again, some of the tools I found helpful are listed below, very useful at the eyepiece.

Lunar Field Atlas

Very similar to Rukl's Atlas of the moon (slightly less detailed) and free to download and print.

Also, download Virtual Moon Atlas by Christian Legrand & Patrick Chevalley

Virtual Moon Atlas | Download Virtual Moon Atlas software for free at SourceForge.net

It is fantastic and free!!!! (and Cartes Du Ceil while you are about it).

Another good resource for a full Moon Chart is:

Lunar maps

lots of charts in B&W or colour with libration if you require.

You will probably not need anything else, I was half way through the Lunar 100 when I discovered VMA and after I started using it at the eyepeice it made it too easy!:)

Also, I cut and pasted this from an earlier post http://stargazerslounge.com/observing-lunar-solar/118592-moon-book-map-advice.html ;)

And this will be interesting to all the new Lunies..... http://stargazerslounge.com/observing-lunar-solar/119808-lunar-100-have-you-finished.html

Guys, what a wonderful challenge. I've downloaded the virtual moon atlas and have printed off the 100 list....

Scope arrives tomorrow (fingers crossed) and this would make an ideal project to get used to the scope and do something constructive and practical.

Shame the link to the "log sheet" at the foot of the lunar 100 web page is broken... anyone have a suitable form we can use ?

Archived