Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Wolf Moon

brianb

OK, here's my definitive Full Moon mosaic - taken just a few hours after the instant of the full "Wolf Moon".

Moon-110120-0105-0131-FLTX2-mosaic20-small.jpg

0105 - 0131 UT. William Optics FLT 110, 2x Powermate, W29 (deep red) filter, Imaging Source DMK41 camera. 20 frame mosaic, 23% resize - full size version here (3450 x 3450 pixel JPG, 892KB download size).

Apparent Diameter 33.26 arc min. Colongitude 95.6 degrees. Illumination 100.0%. Libration in latitude +03 deg 52 min. Libration in longitude -03 deg 41 min. Altitude 51.3 degrees.

Transparency moderate, seeing moderate. Temperature -02C, wind SE force 2-3, baro 1037 mb, rising very slowly.

The link to the large version doesn't work for me Brian.
Hmmm. Photobucket keep messing about with large image stuff .... Please check that you have javascript enabled .... go to this link:

20 :: Full Moon Mosaic picture by bjb11213 - Photobucket

Hover over the image, "File" should appear in the top left corner, select "Download (original size)"

Or try here

Hmmm. Photobucket keep messing about with large image stuff .... Please check that you have javascript enabled .... go to this link:

20 :: Full Moon Mosaic picture by bjb11213 - Photobucket

Hover over the image, "File" should appear in the top left corner, select "Download (original size)"

Or try here

Or click "zoom" that appears on the right when you hover over the image! If you then click on the pic it gets even bigger!!!

• 2 weeks later...
any reason why?

Not sure but mid winter is probably when wolves are at their most ravenous and therefore most likely to be noticed by humans, from whom they will usually keep a very respectful distance.

Well that is just excellent! The full size version is incredibly detailed, right down to the craterlets in Plato, would make a great wall poster.

I will be saving a copy of this one for reference in my "Pictures" folder, reserved for APODs, certain SGL PoW's, and selected other outstanding images (got none of mine in lol!) it's that good! Nice one Brian.

Tim

Not sure but mid winter is probably when wolves are at their most ravenous and therefore most likely to be noticed by humans, from whom they will usually keep a very respectful distance.

I'm fairly sure that January is the start of the mating season for wolves and foxes, so it might well be that they're out howling the place down, especially when there's plenty of light to get about by.

James

Archived