Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Hi,

Please update the listing for my app (Astro Panel), you have the old one on there. Thanks :(

The Messier Object link doesnt work it seems.

There's an excellent alternative though, it's called

'Google Sky Map Assistant', has all the messier objects and locates them in google sky maps like the other one

It also tells you their magnitudes, which ones are visible to the naked eye and so on, it works a treat!

If you are using sky maps always reset the accelerometer by moving your phone in a figure of 8 several times. This improves the accuracy a lot.

I'm using a Galaxy somert of other with GPS etc. It doesn't matter what I do it tells me I'm 50-60m altitude yet I live on the coast with a risk of flooding!!

What's all that about?

I'm using a Galaxy somert of other with GPS etc. It doesn't matter what I do it tells me I'm 50-60m altitude yet I live on the coast with a risk of flooding!!

GPS accuracy is always worse in the vertical direction (altitude) than in horizontal direction. You can't improve the accuracy of GPS by waving the phone. It solely depends on how many satellites are visible and their signal strength. But anyway, the altitude error won't matter much for astronomy.

The sensors that matter more for astronomy are accelerometer and magnetometer.

The accelerometer measures the acceleration and its direction, hence it can help deduce how the phone is oriented with respect to the horizon.

The magnetometer is like the a compass needle, except it is works in three dimensions. And it can often be calibrated by waving the phone in a figure 8.

Thanks for these, I had the Astro file manager already on my phone and all of these downloaded and work fine on my Wildfire!

A few days ago I released a free app in the Android Market:

ISS Detector

It can give an alert just before the ISS is visible from your location. It can also detect Irirdium flares. This app includes weather forcast in the sightings list.

screen3_small.pngscreen4_small.png

* Overview of the coming passes

* Weather conditions for perfect sightings

* Radar screen with path indication

* Detection of Iridium flares

* Notifications and Alarms

* Automatic location and timezone detection

* Widget

* Tablet support

Market Link

Data is from heavens-above.com, and yr.no

A few days ago I released a free app in the Android Market:

ISS Detector

It can give an alert just before the ISS is visible from your location. It can also detect Irirdium flares. This app includes weather forcast in the sightings list.

screen3_small.pngscreen4_small.png

* Overview of the coming passes

* Weather conditions for perfect sightings

* Radar screen with path indication

* Detection of Iridium flares

* Notifications and Alarms

* Automatic location and timezone detection

* Widget

* Tablet support

Market Link

Data is from heavens-above.com, and yr.no

it looks just like the heavens above app?:icon_salut:

it looks just like the heavens above app?:icon_salut:

And all email apps look a like.

I only found the heavens above app when I was half way developing this app. ISS Detector includes a weather forecast, which I find very use full information. All location and timezone settings are detected automatically. At this moment there is only support for the ISS and iridium flare, since those object are easy visible with the naked eye. I might include other object later.

And all email apps look a like.

I only found the heavens above app when I was half way developing this app.

and lucky you did, otherwise where would you have got your data from...?:icon_salut:

Bah, ISS Detector is incompatible with my HTC HD2

try "Heavens Above" - it works perfecty on my HTC Wildfire:)

Bah, ISS Detector is incompatible with my HTC HD2

It's a problem with some custom roms for the HD2 and the Android Market. I've tested it on a HD2 from a friend. It works just fine.

Maybe Market Enabler can help. Or if you want to try ISS Detector you can download the apk through this link. You will not get a notification when there is a new version of ISS Detector available, but at least you can try it.

Edited by RunaR

Works fine on my HD2 , using typhoon rom.Dropbox link not working though.

sent from my phone using my finger.

Edited by Jake Bullit

The link was to an older version. I updated ISS Detector yesterday.

If possible, use the Android Market to get the app. Otherwise, here is a link to ISS Detector v1.06.

This version got some bug fixes and some new versions.

- A quality indicator, based on the weather and magnitude

- A radar blip during a pass

- An option to show the current elevation angle on the radar

- In-app possibilities to purchase extensions

- Donation / Remove ads (€1 $1.38)
- Radio Amateur Satellites / Remove ads (€1.50 $2)

The Radio Amateur Satellite Extension allows ISS Detector to track radio and weather satellites used by Radio Amateurists. The full path and details including frequencies are show.

There's another app on the Market called Astronomy - WhereIsIt costs 62p but unfortunately it crashes on opening on my Dell Streak so I'm not able to say if it's any good.

Not a bad app to have if you dont have a goto scope and use your setting circles on and eq mount. It gives you the RA and DEC for various DSO and stars.

Well built and friendly on the night vision, but fairly basic compared to SKEye and G Skymaps.

Stu

Don't have any of my own to add at the moment but thanks for this list! Just got an android phone (switched from apple). Didn't realise there were so many decent Astronomy apps out there.

There is also Telescope Calculator for us newbies. you put in the objective diameter and focal length of your scope, and the focal length of the eyepiece and the apparent field and it gives you mag, true field (deg and arcmin) field transit time, resolving power

Telescope Calculator Lite - Android Apps and Tests - AndroidPIT

Great link Kharga, thanks for posting! :)

Thanks for this!! Been needing a few apps for a while. Big help indeed :p

Does anyone know if SkEye will run on a Wildfire s ?:p

Hi,

Developer of SkEye here. I did receive complaints from HTC Wildfire users, and also some debugging reports which confirmed that there was a bug with the Wildfire. Hence I filtered out Wildfire, Wildfire S and Wildfire CDMA from the list of supported devices in the Android Market. (These are the only devices that are filtered out btw). In hindsight I shouldn't have filtered out Wildfire S.

Can you please try downloading from SlideMe or AndroidPit and check if it all works fine? If it works let me know and I will happily take the device out from the filtered list :)

Edited by HRJ

I've got an astronomy app on my phone that I like a lot - its called APOD - doesn't show you anything in the sky but sets a new astronomical wallpaper every day (and you can set it to wifi only so theres no raoming charge) - yesterday the witch head nebula, today mars - you get the idea