SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Newbie in Lincolnshire

Karen

Hi everyone. I am new to astronomy but have always had an interest in all things celestial beyond our relative tiny speck of a planet. My only astronomical equipment at the moment is a pair of 12x25 binoculars :D , but next weekend I am going to purchase a Skymax 127 supatrak. So I think I will be using Stargazers Lounge a lot in the future. I am just getting the hang of Stellarium at the moment.

Karen

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Karen and welcome to the forum.

That's a nice bit of kit coming your way and certainly will show you great views of the planets and the moon. The tracking is also very useful, nothing like saying to family and friends, hey come and have a look at this only to find by the time everyone is 'in position' the object has moved out of the eyepiece which is certainly more acute at higher magnifications. I would offer you two pieces of advice.

- Leave it out for 1 hour before viewing to allow the air inside the tube to cool down to the ambient temperature outside the scope. Otherwise the movement of the warmer air inside will spoil your view.

- That 'lens' on the front of the scope is a magnet for frost or dew and so to prevent it you will need a dew shield. Put simply, a tube of some sort wrapped around the front of the scope and extended by some 8-10" in front of it. You can buy them or make one out a bit of old camping mat. The main thing is that the material is waterproof so cardboard for example won't work.

Wishing you clear skies and a lot of fun for when the scope arrives.

James

Hi Karen, welcome to SGL.

There are a good few members who live in the Flatlands, pop over to East Midland Stargazers (Community, then social groups) and have a look. There is a gang of them looking to get a dark site organised, so a group get together is looking promising. Iam sure you would be welcome.

Enjoy your scope when it arrives.

Archived