Two day sequence.

ollypenrice

Brilliant weather here so lots of solar fun. Here is a sequence of 5 images spanning yesterday and today . The sudden appearance of the 'tail' on one prom was incredible.

You can see the full size image on my gallery at http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/The-Sun/14803611_fcZbm#1164306906_EPW46

Cheers,

Olly

1164306906_EPW46-X2.jpg

1165131246_ckaPz-XL.jpg

Very nice Olly, you are having the high pressure we have enjoyed for a couple of days :D

Anybody got any idea on the formation of those tails? I have seen them myself. I just wonder what drives the stuff in that direction???

Tim, since there is a little tip rising from the disc to 'meet' the end of the tail I suspect that the gasses are following a magnetic field line, but I don't know. In the one barlowed shot that I got of the mid day phase of the tail you can just see a connection back to the disc. The larger image on my smugmug site shows it better.

Olly

Most kind of you Sherri. I wrote a Ps action to record a Curves routine in RGB mode. It just involves lifting red, dropping blue, and manipulating green to fine tune. However, I found I could not get there in one iteration so I went round again doing basically the same things. I was always careful not to clip even the blue for fear of creating flat spots.

I don't find the one-click action always gives the same result so I fine tune it in curves each time. I do separate exposures for the proms but don't colourize till the image is flattened.

The French don't seem to go for my colours on the sun but I like it to look hot and blazing with energy. Maybe I'm a bit too gaudy though!!

Olly

• 2 weeks later...

Archived