Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Aurora in 2000 - did anyone see it?

Beulah

I have just finished reading this month's edition of the Sky at Night magazine and was particularly interested in an article about the Aurora Borealis being present in the lower part of the Northern Hemisphere.

It meant that the phenomenon was seen even in Northern France, so I imagine that some of the UK saw it too.

Personally, I feel gutted that I missed it. At the time, I was living in a small town with light pollution and a youngster, so early nights put paid to any interest in astronomy. I wish I could have seen it.

Has anyone else got an account of the experience?

I do recall seeing the aurora visually once when i was visiting a friend in Leverton just outside Boston in lincs and it would have been about then. It was close to the horizon and only extended up to about 15 degrees and had a slight red tinge and also some green.

Paul Money who does the reviews for The Sky at Night Magazine, was based in Boston about then and i seem to remember he posted some photos on his website of the aurora.

Here is the link.

Paul's Astro Gallery

Don't remind me! I'd gone to bed and didn't hear the phone ring. It was a call from my non-astronomer sister telling to get outside RIGHT NOW as there was the most awesome sight. The first I knew of it was when I picked up the answerphone message in the morning, which was full of expletives and 'Wows' and 'come to the phone' and 'get outside now'.

Too late, sadly, and there was nothing the following night!

I missed the 2000 Aurora, went out for the evening and got back to find loads of mesages on the answer machine from my local club telling me to go outside and look. :D

Did see the 2003 Aurora though from Southampton......which was a cracking display. Even managed some photos.

I've been lucky enough to see the aurora twice from Essex. The second time may well have been around yr 2000, but I really cannot remember.

I did see the aurora a few years earlier than that - must have been around 1989... We were just packing up for the night - in the early hours and we noticed a glow in the north.

Having never see aurora before we didn't really know what we were seeing... there was no colour visually - but there was in the photos...

ant.emberson.org - Widefield

Cheers

Ant

Yes I saw it must be that one I think, i saw it in Swansea and it was awesome but it was not as we know it.

The Southern half of the sky was Salmon pink the Niorthen half was black as ink stars everywhere an astronomers dream good for observing but I didnt do any observing that night.

John.

Ant, didn't you see the Oct 2003 Aurora? I'm sure you posted some pics too????

That's going back a lot of years mate! I do recollect seeing a green aurora - but I not sure when and if I have images - who knows where they are...

7 years ago was pre-digital for me - so I'd have actual prints - somewhere.

Ant

Archived