Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pier + pier adapter help

msinclairinork

woohoo!

We're now pretty much packed up for summer and work on the house is taking over. I have a few mods to do on the mount, but we're just looking forward to the autumn and a week at Kielder followed by a week on the Isle of Mull.

I have to admit I'm slightly envious of your location....I love remote areas and would happily weather the winters for those precious clear nights...can't wait to see what you post when it's all running full steam.

Cheers

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That very low pier is food for thought :) Most piers I see pics of are quite high - a low one would save a lot of work and concrete. And a lower one can be smaller diameter due to the lower bending moment. I intend using my scope(s) mainly for imaging. In fact I'm planning to use remote control from the house later on. So I don't think I shall be doing very much observing at the scope.

I reckon you could get away with an 8" being that you have the camera etc at the top end anyway. You would just have to do your merridian flip earlier. But I would say 8" would be the limit. I could extend things if I really wanted, but for DSO imaging I will be sticking to my frac's :D

EDIT: I should say, you might get away with an 8" power newt.

Michael

I've decided to go for a low pier too. Probably about 2ft. I've dug the hole for the base, probably bigger than needed for a short pier - 36" x 30" x 30" deep. I'm thinking something like 7" or 8" diameter for the pier with 10" diameter steel plates (250mm diameter x 10mm) which I've already ordered.

Good stuff Gina!

I have now realised that nothing is as straight foraward or as cost affective as I expected! My build is now getting our of hand and is costing a bit more than expecting. But I expect that it will be worth every penney when it is finished.....Monday now I hope!

Good luck with your build Gina! :D

Michael

Thank you Michael :)

I've long since learned that nothing is ever as simple in life as you expect and always costs more too. Hope for the best but expect the worst :D

Good luck with yours too :D

• 2 weeks later...

FINISHED! :o

Well almost..just need to insulate it and put in a couple re-usable dehumidifers and another lick of paint to tidy it up.

Chuffed though! All works a treat ;)

Gear has been in there for a good week or so and it has taken some battering from the weather but has always been dry inside.

Oh and I have named it.....'Mike-ro Observatory' :D

Cheers for all your help!

Michael

post-19381-133877602929_thumb.jpg

post-19381-133877602937_thumb.jpg

post-19381-133877602945_thumb.jpg

That's so cool Michael... A real innovation born out of practical necessity. I love how it's almost like a scale model shed...the proportions are all there so it messes with your head a bit in the photos.

A great job though...and love the colour too!

Nice job Michael, influencing my thinking for sure, I may do something similar, not having to build big RORO roof should save effort and cash.

Is the box heavy or awkward to move on and off? If it is I was thinking a small decked area alongside, flush and level with the plinth could make it easier to just slide off, no lifting.

Tony.

MG1- No no...it is really that big! it's just that i am using an HEQ12 with a ST80,00, ED800,000,000 and a Canon 300,000....;) Cheers.

Nightvision- The box isn't very heavy at all as used 2x1" wood for the frame and it just slides off and on very well.. However if I could do it again I would of used 2x2 or bigger as it was a pain to make it strong/rigid but I got there in the end. Runners as you say would be easy enough I think to install and I might even do it in the summer months when I can't use the scope...idle hands and all that! :o

Thanks guys.

Michael

That's so cool Michael...I love how it's almost like a scale model shed...the proportions are all there so it messes with your head a bit in the photos.

:o I completely agree. It's mad when viewed like that.

Cracking job though. Should see you well, Michael ;)

nice build and very interesting concept!

another interesting type of obsy showing whatever the space,budget ect... something can always be built thats practical and that will encourage you out there for those fleeting cloud free moments

Archived