SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Pier + pier adapter help

msinclairinork

Cheers for the comments guys.

The reason for the load of concrete in my case is more for the structure/housing that I will enclose my hole setup. Scope, cameras the lot.

So today I have placed in the 4x4 fence posts and the rest of the structure is just to hold it all in level and square and also so I can suspend the threaded rods.

I will pour in the concrete tomorrow and remove the extra bits of wood from the posts and should also have the 4 threaded rods fixed in the right place.

Then I will bolt my pier on and cut the remainder of the threaded rods.

I will then get on to build a small rabbit hutch type thing just big enough to cover everything sitting the home position ready to go.

All I will do to setup is open a door on one of the short sides and slide off the top section of it all.

Oh also the concrete will only come up to around 6" to the ground, so that I can lay the turf back over it. And If I move house I will just lift up the turf, unbolt the pier and cut the fence posts down as low as I can and re-lay the turf again.

Thanks,

Michael

post-19381-133877566856_thumb.jpg

post-19381-133877566864_thumb.jpg

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't forget to cast in any conduit that you might want to use for cable runs up the pier.... but do so in such a way that they won't collect water!

Can't wait to see it all finished...Have fun.

Michael

Interesting but I don't really think a cubic metre of concrete is an option for many people. I would have thought it was overkill for say up to a 10" scope.

In this thread it seems we have two extremes - a cubic yard of concrete or a 4" fence post! Is the 4" fence post really sufficient for astro-imaging? I'd very much like to know. It's such a nice simple solution :)

Regards

Gina

Hi Gina,

I decided against the fence post pier mainly because a) I wanted everything setup ready to go and :icon_salut: Orkney weather. I am doing this as a semi-permenant soloution, so that no one should know it was ever their if they buy the house. Unless of course they start digging! But I will be long gone by then! :eek:

Thanks,

Michael

Glad to hear your going into a pier and awesome to have your first place!

Job one, get your camera out and photograph you horizon from as many places you can, work out where is the best place. (I have found a spot which hides most of my street lights (3)).

A semi permanent pier is a good option made from wood just bury it at least 3-4 feet add a few braces and soak it is engine oil if you can, this will do for a while untill you work out your perfect location / save up for a more ideal option and wont cost a fortune.

The thing with a Concrete base / pier is once its done you wont want to do it again and cant realistically move it , a wooden post you can play with inbetween.

Those pier mount adapters look rather expensive and from reading elsewhere on here the suppliers don't seem to have a very good reputation for prompt delivery. Maybe I'll wait until I get the EQ6 mount. Maybe I could adapt the top of the tripod or make something up. The mount should only need a small amount of adjustment for azimuth - a reasonably close north alignment should be possible straight off.

I don't really need the tripod but it seems you can't get the mount without it.

Got the concrete delivered by Loadall to the front of the house, it was around 0.4cu meters and I then just barrowed it round to the back garden and put it in.

Also having hired the loadall for the hour I got them to take away the heap of earth that was left over and dump it for me.

Total cost for the concrete and the higher was £76.

Should remove the remainder of the wooden frame and bolt down my pier today.

Will now just wait for a night that I can see polaris and do a rough polar alignment before drililng the holes for the pier adapter to bolt on to the leveling plates.

Michael

post-19381-133877568285_thumb.jpg

Nearly their; Just the top part to finish tomorrow.

Gave it a test run last night and all went well, minus a few softwear issues and polar aligning was a bit of a nightmare; being so close to the ground! But got there in the end.

Finished pics tomorrow I hope. :)

Michael

post-19381-133877596404_thumb.jpg

post-19381-133877596412_thumb.jpg

Very neat job Michael. Did you design it so low because you intend to just image? Should be easy to build a housing, you could make it look like a rabbit hutch to help with security. It's got me re-thinking my design, I might do something similar.

Tony.

Hi Tony,

Yes that's right, this will just be for imaging.

The other reasons for it being so small was to be cheaper to build, semi-permenant and not to be to intrusive in our small garden.

The housing will just be a basic frame with ply walls and roof, might stick some roofing felt on the top just for kicks.

Then to secure it on to the base I have some flight case locks. All I will do then is open a door on one of the short sides and slide it off. Turn the cameras on and work it from the PC in the house.

Michael

Nicely done ...

Should make getting up an running a lot quicker.. and more consistent results :)

Any quick to cover up if no when the weateher suddenly changes...

Stick some chicken wire on the front with a piccy of a rabbit behind it to disguise it as a hutch...

Peter...

Michael, that looks great, or as they say down 'er "it's gert lush, a right propa job"

Nicely done ...

Stick some chicken wire on the front with a piccy of a rabbit behind it to disguise it as a hutch...

Peter...

...and we will of course have to rename you astro-bugs...:)

Looking forward to seeing the results of your labour...can you get some in before your nights get too light?

Michael

Archived