Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

lancastrian

North west newbie!

Hello all

I'm located in Lancashire. No telescope (as yet)

I'm using a Panasonic camcorder with 70 optical zoom and a pair of binoculars to stargaze. Obviously not the right equipment! However, despite their iinadequateness they have caused me to become very interested in astronomy and my next purchase will be a decent telescope.

Recommendations most welcome.

Regards,

Bill

Welcome Bill I'm in Preston... You have very good skies up there..

Get yourself 80mm refractor kit second hand.. even better an 8" dobsonian... it'll do you for years..

Hi Bill and welcome to the forum.

I think you might later be seduced by the 'dark side' (astrophotgraphy). This astronomy lark could get you in to a whole lot of trouble and looks like there is no turning back.:D:D

Clear skies

James

Welcome Bill, beginners section will help you decide on the right scope to get you started.

JohnH.

Welcome to the forum Bill from another NWer. I am in Bamber Bridge - feel free to ask anything you like.

Regards

Rob

Hi Bill

Welcome to SGL. Binos are great way to start. Once you have learned the skies you will be much better informed when you buy your telescope.

Keith

Hello from Chorley!!

Don't forget to download 'Stellarium', it's free and very useful.

Regards

PS. Don't rush into a telescope, learn the sky with your binos.

Welcome Bill, skies are great up here!:D

I would go along with the other recommendation & stick with the binos until you've learnt the sky. Get a comfy outdoor reclining / camping chair & enjoy. I use 15x70 binos that I picked up cheap on ebay, they do show a lot of detail & are great for viewing the night sky.

Chris (nr Preston)

PS Nearly forgot, download Stellarium to your laptop or pc to help with locations of objects, planets , and much much more :evil1:

Hello all

I'm located in Lancashire. No telescope (as yet)

I'm using a Panasonic camcorder with 70 optical zoom and a pair of binoculars to stargaze. Obviously not the right equipment! However, despite their iinadequateness they have caused me to become very interested in astronomy and my next purchase will be a decent telescope.

Recommendations most welcome.

Regards,

Bill

Whereabouts are you based? If you are anywhere local to me, then you are welcome to pop round and have a peer through my kit (not a euphemism!!!:D), if that would help you decide.

Hi Bill and welcome to the forum, I used to live in Bamber Bridge but have now moved to warmer climes (Yeovil, Somerset), less rain and warmer :D