sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

North west newbie!

lancastrian

Hello all

I'm located in Lancashire. No telescope (as yet)

I'm using a Panasonic camcorder with 70 optical zoom and a pair of binoculars to stargaze. Obviously not the right equipment! However, despite their iinadequateness they have caused me to become very interested in astronomy and my next purchase will be a decent telescope.

Recommendations most welcome.

Regards,

Bill

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Bill and welcome to the forum.

I think you might later be seduced by the 'dark side' (astrophotgraphy). This astronomy lark could get you in to a whole lot of trouble and looks like there is no turning back.:D:D

Clear skies

James

Welcome Bill, skies are great up here!:D

I would go along with the other recommendation & stick with the binos until you've learnt the sky. Get a comfy outdoor reclining / camping chair & enjoy. I use 15x70 binos that I picked up cheap on ebay, they do show a lot of detail & are great for viewing the night sky.

Chris (nr Preston)

PS Nearly forgot, download Stellarium to your laptop or pc to help with locations of objects, planets , and much much more :evil1:

Hello all

I'm located in Lancashire. No telescope (as yet)

I'm using a Panasonic camcorder with 70 optical zoom and a pair of binoculars to stargaze. Obviously not the right equipment! However, despite their iinadequateness they have caused me to become very interested in astronomy and my next purchase will be a decent telescope.

Recommendations most welcome.

Regards,

Bill

Whereabouts are you based? If you are anywhere local to me, then you are welcome to pop round and have a peer through my kit (not a euphemism!!!:D), if that would help you decide.