Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DSLR cyclic timer

geppetto

Might be of interest.

Just built a timer for Richard to use with his Sony A100 DSLR at the scope.

This device will suite any DSLR with BULB mode, it's just a matter of fitting

the correct plug for the camera.

It works by shorting the shutter release pin of the camera's remote socket

to the negative rail.

The timer uses a pre built circuit board shown here

http://www.quasarelectronics.com/ci101x.htm

In practice, with a 12 volt supply, the timer can open the camera from approx 2 seconds to

90 seconds and then you can set the off time for the same timings and the device cycles ON/OFF

till you switch it off.

The mods I have done to the board include removing the two timer trim pots (1m Linear) and replacing

one with a box mounted 1M linear potentiometer for the on timing.

I relpaced the other trim pot with a 220K linear trimpot to get a finer adjustment for the off time.

Operating the camera, I noticed that a safe off time of 10 seconds allowed the camera to write an image

to it's card and then become available for the next shot.

So, the timer switches the camera on for 2 to 90 seconds using the front pot and then goes of for 10 seconds

to allow the camera to recover for the next shot.

This cycle repeats until you have enough images on the card.

12 volt supply is via a car plug which will fit to Richard's power tank.

This timer won't be accurate to a precise number of seconds but it will provide repeatability of similar timed

shots whilst allowing hands off multi exposure taking. :)

timer1.jpg

timer2.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So if we tell you what camera we have - when could one be delivered?

That looks really good. I have lead to connect the 300D to the laptop - but the lead is only 4 metres and won't reach indoors in my new house.

Ant

this might be the reason for the fog though

Hmmmm an MDF fog removing machine!

will give it some thought :)

Hey Arthur, I know what your on about now, the Norfolk accent threw me for a while :lol:

Good idea! this thing has a relay to switch the output so if the webcam parallel switching is just

high or low then I reckon it could be pressed into service to supply 5volts or nothing.......

All of what you said Phil, flew right over my head

Sorry Caz, I never was good at explaining things properly. :)

OK here is what it does, take 2.

Say your at the scope with your Canon and you want to take say 10 of 40 second shots of M42

to bring in and stack the images.

Your choices are

1: if you have a laptop with camera control software, you can set this up to do the job automatically.

2: If you only have a camera remote control, you need to fire the camera, count to 40 seconds

and then release the shutter and then repeat 10 times.

3: If you have neither laptop nor remote you have to press the camera shutter button, hold it for

40 seconds and then let go and again repeat 10 times.

4: With my device, you plug it into the camera's remote socket, set it to 40 seconds, switch it on and

it will take the first 40 second shot, wait for 10 seconds and then take the next and it will repeat over and over again

whilst you nip indoors for a glass or two of mulled wine.

That's probably even more confusing :)

Andrew

Yes it's a Lego board :lol:

I'll try to do better next time Miss :sad5:

:) :) Phil, it was the big words that threw me, and the technical jargon. I wish they would write books like, 'Right Caz, this is what your need to do first, then adjust so n so, then turn on such and such, remove the thingymajig, twiddle the whatsamacallit'.... :lol:

Caz,

This would be ideal if you wanted to play with stacking images from your Canon :)

It would yes, but at the end of the day, I don't have the ability.... :D

It would yes, but at the end of the day, I don't have the ability.... :)

Caz, at the START of the day you might not, but at the END of the day you would have. Its just button mashing to begin with and I haven't got past that bit yet. Its really not difficult when compared to what you can do with Photoshop. Besides the software is free!

Captain Chaos

People on here seem to have more faith in my abilities to do stuff like this, than I do...

The mods I have done to the board include removing the two timer trim pots (1m Linear) and replacing

one with a box mounted 1M linear potentiometer for the on timing.

I relpaced the other trim pot with a 220K linear trimpot to get a finer adjustment for the off time.

I mean, what does it all mean? I think I'll leave these kind of projects to the people in the know if its all the same... :)

Archived