Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best 10x50 Bins. Pentax PCF II or Opticron Imagic TGA ? Help !

Yeoman

Hi All I am torn between these two binoculars and someone suggested I start a thread in this section so here goes...

I want them for daytiime use to take on holiday as well as stargazing so I am looking for a general purpose binocular that will hopefully last me a lifetime (unless I decide to sell them on and upgrade to an even better pair at a later date).

Here are the two I am torn between, they are both about the same price about £130 or so...

Porroprism - Pentax 10x50 PCF WP II

or these:

Porroprism - Opticron Imagic TGA WP Porro Prism

From what I can see, the Opticron are about 200 grammes lighter, I dont know how much difference that 200g will make but I intend to take them on birdwatching trips and on boat trips with them around my neck as well as using them on a tripod at night.

I prefer the look of the Pentax ones and I think they might hold thier value better as they look so Hi-tech but I know looks are only a consideration...

FLO said they are both great and that I would be happy with either but I was hoping to get a few more opinions before I buy, their first recommendation was the Opticron though...

I have just received my new 10" Dobsonian scope so the binoculars are definitely going to get as much if not more daytime use than night-time. We have 4 holidays booked this year so they are going to get a lot of use on holiday... the 200g difference in weight might decide it but I REALLY like the look and style of the Pentax ones...

Could anyone give me any advice or opinions on which of these two sets of binoculars might be the best to go for please ?

Thanks for reading.

I bought the Opticrons. Never tried the Pentax so can't compare directly, but the difference compared to my cheaper Meade 10x50s is amazing.

You'd think two pieces of optical equipment with identical aperture and magnification would be pretty similar in performance, but the Opticrons are very noticeably brighter - must be the coatings I guess.

They're also built like they'll take a bit of abuse - although I haven't tried that theory out yet…

I know the Opticrons must be really good due to the recommendations I have heard and they are also lighter than the Pentax ones so they may be the most sensible choice...

To be honest its just I really like the look of the Pentax ones so much I was hoping people might give me a good reason to go for those even through they weigh 200g more...

They arent just for stargazing I want a good all round binocular....

I need some new bins and have narrowed my choice down to these two pairs plus the Nikon Action Extreme 10x50's, from my research they all deliver good quality views the Nikon have the widest field of view but with some bluring towards the edge of field, the Pentax have a narrower field of view but are 100% crisp accross, the only negative thing I read was that if you have a big nose they are not comfy to use. Not found a great deal out about the Opticrons other than a review by Astro Baby Binocular Review - Opticron Imagic If you go for the Pentax let me know what they are like it's my birthday soon.

Strangely, no accountimg for taste etc, I prefer the opticrons, they just look more 'brutal'.

Cant say how they perform against the Pentax ones but my opticrons were at least as good as my old Zeiss binos ans far more comfy to use.

I use my opticrons for faytime use when hiking around. They are light ans comfy and their rubbef armouf makes them feel good in the hand.with all that said if what you like is the pentax i'd buy them otherwise you might never be happy. Buying stuff is always an emotional decision for me rather than a strictly logical one.

I am right on the verge of buying the Opticrons now... Mainly due to the lighter weight...

To be honest the fact that myself and my brother whose popinion I asked like the look of the Pentax is all thats holding me back...

I will ask the missus what she thinks...

I have ordered the Opticrons...

Thanks for the advice everyone I think the lighter wieght swung it plus all the good reviews plus they were recommended so thats it they are on order.

Thanks again.

Well my Opticrons arrived today, I am so dissapointed, they came faulty...

I have asked if I can swap for the pentax ones, the rubber eyepiece cover came right off first time I twisted it to extend the eyepiece, you can see its supposed to be glued in place but there wasnt enough glue applied... another problem is thet the holes you put the neckstrap through arent wide enough for the neckstrap suopplied so you would have to buy a new neckstrap to use a strap, also the double eyepiece cover/rainguard wont fit on the bins after I get them wide enough for my eyes, I have to fold them together to put the eyepiece cover on, this means if I pick them up and want to look at something I have to reset the width by quite a lot every time...

I have never bought expansive bins before but when a bit drops off within 2 minutes of opening it doesnt inspire confidence in them long term...

Got the Pentax ones yesterday, service from supplier was excellent, they are well impressive, the are much heavier and bulkier but they have a really robust feel to them.

I am not an expert and without having them side by side I cant compare the optics but they seem very well made so here is my view on the two so far:

Opticron Imagic TGA WP Pros:

Very good optics and coatings, highly recommended by lots of people.

Solid feel.

Lightweight.

Compact body.

Cons (for me):

If you have a wide face you cant get the lens cover on without squeezing them together so each time you look through them you have to set them up again.

The strap that comes with them doesnt go through the actual mounting points on the bins without a huge struggle.

Rubber eyepiece covers came off on first use (could be glued back on easy enough).

Pentax 10x50 PCF WP II pros:

Amazing look and feel they feel, very meaty and look brilliant, very futuristic.

Lens cover fits even with bins on widest setting.

Cons:

Bigger, bulkier and heavier

No strap on carry case (you can use the ones on the bins though).

glad you are happy with the pentax, i recently bought a pair of 8x40 PCF WPII for daytime use mostly and i'm well chuffed with them.... the birds in my garden have taken on a new light and the viewing is beautifully crisp and colourful across the field.

I was equally chuffed when i poked them in the direction of andromeda, i could make out the smudge no probs and no tripod required.

A purchase well made i'd say.

Well my Opticrons arrived today, I am so dissapointed, they came faulty...

I have asked if I can swap for the pentax ones, the rubber eyepiece cover came right off first time I twisted it to extend the eyepiece, you can see its supposed to be glued in place but there wasnt enough glue applied... another problem is thet the holes you put the neckstrap through arent wide enough for the neckstrap suopplied so you would have to buy a new neckstrap to use a strap, also the double eyepiece cover/rainguard wont fit on the bins after I get them wide enough for my eyes, I have to fold them together to put the eyepiece cover on, this means if I pick them up and want to look at something I have to reset the width by quite a lot every time...

I have never bought expansive bins before but when a bit drops off within 2 minutes of opening it doesnt inspire confidence in them long term...

I bought a pair of opticron countrymans and they were disgusting inside with what looked like hair and dust and the coating was uneven and in places the coating looked like it was poured on. They can keep them. Nikons are good as are pentax.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Its a while since I bought these but I wanted to give them a proper tral before commenting on them.

They are really good binocs and they were very good when on a tripod but in the end I have sold the Pentax PCF II 10x50 as I decided they were too heavy for normal use, the build quality and feel was brilliant but I have now bought some Elinor Ostara 10x50 and they are much better all round I think, they are lighter and the image seems a lot clearer, again the build quality is fantastic and they have a 30 year guarantee.

It seems the Elinor 10x50 won a sky at night award for the best binocular and the Pentax came second so my first choice was a sound one but the reason the Pentax didnt win was due to its heavy weight and I would have to agree there.

Both fantastic pairs if you are after a 10x50 but unless you have stronger arms than me the Pentax are heavy and I am a bigish chap.

I have now bought some Elinor Ostara 10x50 a<snip>

It seems the Elinor 10x50 won a sky at night award for the best binocular

Both fantastic pairs if you are after a 10x50 but unless you have stronger arms than me the Pentax are heavy and I am a bigish chap.

Price for this binocular (branded United Optics BW7) varies enormously depending on the branding. As an Elinor Ostara, it seems to be relatively expensive. As, say, the Strathspey Waterproof they are a few tens of ££ less expensive.

• 11 months later...

Ages since this was originally posted but I went for the Opticron Imagic WGA WP 10x50. This might be in part down to the retailer not having the Pentax in stock as I was originally very interested in those. However their weight is higher than others. I can't review my new bins as they are now handed over for Xmas present processing but the good people at Green Witch allowed me to look through as many models as I wanted to. These won it hands down for the price and was pleased to get a little discount as they had been on display, though I didn't ask for one. These fit my face and I might be one of those aforementioned big nose people! All the roof prisms didn't fit me too well. By the way, it was a HUGE bonus to see and handle them rather than do a mail order. Also, it ensures the pair is not defective.

I'm really excited about Christmas!!!

Archived