SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Andromedia! But bad neck :(

garethmob

Well tonight was amazing. Wanted to take some pics to experiment settings with so i set my camera up went out side n took my binos. Obv no longer had tripod as it had my camera on top. But I was mildly hopping between cassy n andromidia n I saw it!!! Faint smudge in the sky!!! But my neck hurts now cos of the angle :) My pics didn't come out great but at least I found my first galaxy!!

Congratulations! Andromeda has been avoiding me for quite a number of years now, even though I know where to look for it!lol!

I would wager that all of us get neck and backahe from time to time. I've got backache now...

Congratulations! Andromeda has been avoiding me for quite a number of years now, even though I know where to look for it!lol!

Took my overdue videos back, walked there and back in the dark.. got home and looked up - the cloud had gone and wow my night vision was really good.

Popped indoors and got the lil'vixen , plonked it down and started looking around without the scope - Orion nebula clear as a bell. Through the scope was amazing as I could easily see the gas nebula against the dark background at full magnification (6mm).

I could see plaidaes and thought I'd start searching for andromeda. Looking around I kept catching two faint smudges without the scope but they'd disappear looking at them. I could see M33 through the scope .. small and dim but it was there.. I also kept seeing the smudge of M31 and tried to get the scope on it but the clouds rolled in :)

So now I know where to look, what it looks like - I just need another break in the cloud.

It took me ages to find it... then when i found it in binoculars i was so chuffed I lined up the SCT scope but i couldnt get it in view! I have tried so many times grovelling on the floor sore back and knees ! I have given up for now ..even comtemplating buying an angled viewfinder...

The simplest way to find M31 is to first locate the square of Pegasus. The corner nearest to Cassiopeia belongs to Andromeda, the "backbone" of which is a gentle curve of three more-or-less equally bright stars stretching towards Perseus. Take the middle of these three (beta And), and move approximately northwards (but at right angles to the curve) to spot a fainter star. Move in the same direction by about the same amount to find two stars of about the same magnitude and just a bit further north is M31.

The simplest way to find M31 is to first locate the square of Pegasus. The corner nearest to Cassiopeia belongs to Andromeda, the "backbone" of which is a gentle curve of three more-or-less equally bright stars stretching towards Perseus. Take the middle of these three (beta And), and move approximately northwards (but at right angles to the curve) to spot a fainter star. Move in the same direction by about the same amount to find two stars of about the same magnitude and just a bit further north is M31.

Agreed, that is always my route. It really is naked eye, even with my eyes, at a dark site. I see it as a star-like, but elongated, little streak.

Mag as low as possible because it is enormous.

Olly

I found it last night for the first time too! And you guys are right, it is an indistinct grey smudge. I also noticed another 'grey smudge' not far from Andromeda - to the right of it.

It never rains but it pours - and all through 20 x 50 upclose celestron bins!

I found it last night for the first time too! And you guys are right, it is an indistinct grey smudge. I also noticed another 'grey smudge' not far from Andromeda - to the right of it.

It never rains but it pours - and all through 20 x 50 upclose celestron bins!

If it was close to M31, it may have been M32 or M110, two satellites of M31.

Archived