SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Saturn - first light this year.

martin_h

I am not an observer, but, there is something special about Saturn. I think it was Saturn that got me into this lark in the first place, anyway I was imaging last night but decided to set up the 8SE for a look at Saturn in the early hours, but as usual it started to cloud over but I left the scope out - just in case- :)

Glad I did now, it was a bit hazy but there it was, easy to spot in the moon glow from the garden, didn't bother with allignment and all that tosh, just used the controll to get me in the right place in the finder, 32mm EP in first and there it was first go! whip that out and used the 9mm and just stood there for 1/2 hour nudging the motor to keep it in view. The rings were perfect and so were the 3 moons that I could make out, seeing was rubbish but hey ho, I only packed it in when I lost the feeling in fingers and toes but I'm glad I did it now - and it still makes me go wow!

I am not an observer, but, there is something special about Saturn. I think it was Saturn that got me into this lark in the first place, anyway I was imaging last night but decided to set up the 8SE for a look at Saturn in the early hours, but as usual it started to cloud over but I left the scope out - just in case- :)

Glad I did now, it was a bit hazy but there it was, easy to spot in the moon glow from the garden, didn't bother with allignment and all that tosh, just used the controll to get me in the right place in the finder, 32mm EP in first and there it was first go! whip that out and used the 9mm and just stood there for 1/2 hour nudging the motor to keep it in view. The rings were perfect and so were the 3 moons that I could make out, seeing was rubbish but hey ho, I only packed it in when I lost the feeling in fingers and toes but I'm glad I did it now - and it still makes me go wow!

Ditto Martin though I was using the 20x90's, thought after waitng till it got reasonably high around 3.00am it looked like the cloud would spoil it but I got the chance 20 minutes later, really had to come in, the cold was biting even with very little wind. :)

Archived