Meade Query??

LX200 Arrived today! A quick (stupid possibly) question...

should the RA lock just flap about from left to right..i was expecting to feel some tension when i moved it from right to left?

thanks for looking, here's hoping i'm not being stupid...:)

Rols

i'm pretty convinced that RA lock says it all and this one is not locking i just dont know if it only works when powered?? certainly it isnt locking without power!

Could really do with an answer on this before i go bed as if is not working i would like to call them in the morning for a replacment product.

just recieved my Meade Lx200.

out of box and onto mount checked the mirror lock and went to unlock the RA and the left/right lever just flops around..i have no power and the RA does not lock...is this right or is this broken...or is it that it only locks when powered??

please advise as i would like to call them in the morning if this is not right! tried in the begginers section but no answer and i want to go bed!!

Rols

yes they do . sometime they become slack

After a period of time, it is possible that the R.A. lock (7, Fig. 3) of the LX200 will not tighten sufficiently due to internal wear of the clutch mechanism. In such an event, remove the R.A. lock lever using one of the hex wrenches supplied with the telescope. Then, with a pair of pliers, tighten the shaft protruding outward from the drive base until you cannot easily rotate the fork arm in R.A. (Take care in this operation not to damage the cosmetic finish of your LX200). Replace the R.A. lock lever so that its handle points straight out from the cross-bar connecting the fork arm

Looking at the Manual for the LX200, the RA Lock should be capable of giving a partial friction to the RA rotation, or Azimuth if the scope is not on a wedge. Same difference really if you can move the scope at all when the lever is over in the lock position, there is something wrong it would seem. When locked, the mount should not be free to move manually in RA. Unless there is some mechanism to disable the the lock for transport purposes, I fear there could be a problem.

Is the scope brand new, or did you buy it second hand?

My Meade is a LX90, which is quite different to the LX200.

I had a look at the 200 manual online, and the way I read it, it should lock the scope.

Ron.

this unit was new today! you would have thought they'd have tested it hey!!

thankyou for your much appreciated help.

Rols.

Fixed in under 3 mins thanks for the help,could i ask for the link to the information it will probably be a good refrence point for me in the future!

Same here i just wasnt sure if it was hydrolic, i found out a few mins ago that you can adjust the tension by removing the handle and setting the position of the tension bolt...i have solved the problem!...

the unit was supposed new, but i may question that in the morning with the company i purchased from, the 26mm EP was out of its sealed bag and the product boxes were re-sealed with differnt size staples and tape...i'm not sure i got what i paid for!

and it didnt arrive from the company i purchased it from, instead it came from another large online retailer...who knows!!??

thanks for the reply..this question was alos posted in the equiptment discussion forum..

very freaky i though i answered this in the begginers section...now i'm in here..is this thread linked or moved??

Same here i just wasnt sure if it was hydrolic, i found out a few mins ago that you can adjust the tension by removing the handle and setting the position of the tension bolt...i have solved the problem!...

the unit was supposed new, but i may question that in the morning with the company i purchased from, the 26mm EP was out of its sealed bag and the product boxes were re-sealed with differnt size staples and tape...i'm not sure i got what i paid for!

and it didnt arrive from the company i purchased it from, instead it came from another large online retailer...who knows!!??

thanks for the reply..this question was alos posted in the equiptment discussion forum..

very freaky i though i answered this in the begginers section...now i'm in here..is this thread linked or moved??

Rols, I merged the two threads into one in the Equipment help.

You had a thread in the beginners section too, so it was necessary to move that to the proper board.

Anyway, the main thing is, you have the solution now.

Good luck with your LX200.

Ron.

i hoped you would'nt ask, i wanted the 10" and ended up only being able to manage the 8" maybe later in the hobby i will back track that decision and go get something bigger.

i lifted the 10" and it was quite apparant i was never going to be able to use it unless i had someone with me to place it on the mount. i don't have the luxury of being able to leave it in a fixed position. not an easy choice to make when faced with cost differences but a sensible option if i wanted to use it on a regular basis!

i'm seriously toying with the micro focuser for it and am keeping a keen eye out for a wedge although i'm trying to find answers to the differnce between the wedges that seem to be available for it.?

i have just purchased and adapted a phillips 880 to a 900 with nose and filter, i have purchased a couple more of them aswell so i can have a go at the first stage mod, just need a supplier for the parts required i'm hoping maplins have the answers!

Archived