Banner.jpg.5ed196c1e70861ebc79109e023c96067.jpg

Is it possible to view moon landing sites?

Like I said, from the ridiculously powerful laser they fire at it, billions of photons, only a few bounce all the way back to the reciever, so it would need to be an extremly powerful light source in exactly the right palce to be seen. Also, though I'm not sure about this, as it's a retro reflector, the light source that would be reflected would have to be from the location you would be to receive it and therefore see it, but I'm not sure about that. To be honest, I'm not even sure that last sentence even makes that much sense, but hopefully younger the gist of what I'm trying to say!

Tom

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Moon landings were all a con photographed in the Arizona desert. Anybody with any real scientific knowledge knows that it is impossible for a human to traverse empty space and live. The type of cheese that the Moon is made from will remain a mystery forever!

The Moon landings were all a con photographed in the Arizona desert. Anybody with any real scientific knowledge knows that it is impossible for a human to traverse empty space and live. The type of cheese that the Moon is made from will remain a mystery forever!

You will cause some real trouble with talk like that! :) :)

It is possible to view the area where they landed, maybe pin point it to an area 5 mile square by using the maps supplied on the web. It is not however possible to view the actual landing sites, these are way to small.

If they exist at all! :)

Look at it from this point of view, if it was easy to fly to the moon back in the 60's, why have we never been back since... hey... hey?! :)

There's no way those astronaughts did any EVA's because they would of been bombarded by the sun's radiation for starters, which would kill them!!

:)

If they exist at all! :)

Look at it from this point of view, if it was easy to fly to the moon back in the 60's, why have we never been back since... hey... hey?! :)

There's no way those astronaughts did any EVA's because they would of been bombarded by the sun's radiation for starters, which would kill them!!

:)

A lot of politics involved, after the Apollo missions, cost and all that jazz. But I do truly believe we actually went to the moon.

Edited by JohnDenim

have a look at this thread the 5th post has a linky with some pics of landing sites with the lunar module visable. tho i doubt it could be seen with anything but the biggest scopes

{edit} i should add the link http://stargazerslounge.com/astro-lounge/118222-apollo-mission-landing-sites.html

Edited by star_chaser

Re : the moon landing site photos from orbit. They're all fake of course - I heard people invloved in the Hollywood film industry went there and rigged up inflatable versions lunar module parts and caefully carved boot prints on the surface.

I hope this thread does not degenerate into one of those awful conspiracy theory ones - that topic has been done to death on this forum already, a number of times :)

Back on topic, I recall that Sky & Telescope magazine published an article a few years ago showing how amateurs can observe the areas on the lunar surface where the Apollo missions landed - I believe the Hadley Rille can be seen by with a moderate scope.

I hope this thread does not degenerate into one of those awful conspiracy theory ones - that topic has been done to death on this forum already, a number of times :)

Indeed. :)

We've had quite enough of that blithering nonsense in the past.

The OP asked a very sensible question.

Edited by RobH