Narrowband

Eyepieces?

I'm in the process of either purchasing a Skywatcher explorer 130p or a 150p. I'm quite new to this hobby which leads me on to my question.

I have decided on the scope, and now I need to resolve the issue of which eyepieces?. They come with 10mm & 25mm (1.25") as standard, and also a 2x Deluxe Barlow lens (on the 150p). I already own a 2x Barlow and 10mm so not worried about them as much.

The question I have is this, there is currently a deal available when purchasing either of the above scopes to get the following...

Buy ANY telescope in the Sky-Watcher range and we will give you a voucher to allow you to purchase a Sky-Watcher LER eyepiece & filter kit for a discounted price of just £69.00 a saving of 50% off the SRP £139.00

Kit Comprises: 2mm, 5mm, 15mm & 20mm Long Eye Relief Eyepieces, Four Threaded Light Filters (Amber, Blue, Neutral Grey & Moon Filter) Dual - Beam LED Night Vision Torch, Astronomical Telescope User Guide, in lockable, foam-padded Aluminium Case

Although this looks like good value, do these eyepieces sound like a good thing? I wear glasses so the Long Eye Relief is of interest (suitable for spectacle wearers is mentioned in the product description). If I am better off getting an alternative like a Super Plossl or anything else then I would rather know now before I waste my money.

Any help on this subject would be appreciated?

Regards

I've tried a few of the Skywatcher LER eyepieces and I did not think much of them, even at that price.

If you wear glasses to observe then I can see the attraction but there are much better long eye relief options available.

Why not wait until you have used your scope a bit ? - you may find you don't actually need to wear your glasses while observing then your options will be different. Either way you will have some actual observing experience which will help make the right decisions on your next kit buying.

As John Says, don't rush in, take your time, see how you get on with what you get with the scope first before jumping in.

Eyepieces can be more expensive than a GOTO scope but only worth it if you use them and can discern that last ounce of performance.

Don't be afraid to let offers go by, for the most part they are likely a clearance of stock which isn't otherwise selling. Try what you have and when you KNOW you want something else I would try experimenting in the second hand market, you can often try it out and sell it on for about the same and all it would cost you is postage.

If it's a keeper then you will have saved a few quid over the list price so smiles all round.

Thank you all.

I have just read some more threads on the same sort of topics and everyone says the same.

I shall keep my money in my pocket for now and see how I get on.

Until now I usually take the glasses off to observe, so I shall continue with the new scope.

Thanks All.

Regards

:)

I would say don´t jump in and buy EP´s for the sake of it. Ivé done that and have EP´S I don´t need.

Consider seconhand EP´s, the folks here tend to look after their kit very well and you will pick up a bargain.

I wear specs too but for stargazing I take them off, I like to get personal with my EP´S, give it a try and see what´s more comfortable for you before spending more money.

Following on from the above. I've decided not to buy a kit as suggested. I've done some further digging around eyepieces etc and will wait and see how I get on. However, there was a particular thread I read explaining how it all works, and I was wondering, whilst FLO have an offer on the Celestron Omni Plossl's, whether it is worth gettiing a 15mm for £20?

That will give me a 10, 15 and 25mm to start off with which seems to cover most scenarios for a starter (along with the barlow). Any thoughts?

Regards

When you get the scope - join a local astro soc and go to their observing evenings. You can get a few ep loaners to try out which'll help you to understand them and know the type you're comfy with. You'll soon get a good idea of which types and makes suit you and your scope best :)

....I think I am starting to analyse it all too much before I've got going.....

Very easy to fall into that - "paralysis by analysis". Get a scope and start having fun with it :(

Once hooked, you can look at options for spending more £'s at leisure :)

Archived