Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

first attempt

stevelcfc

here is my first attempt at jupiter,with a skywatcher explorer 150p with 2x barlow and phillips spc900

i am happy with it for a first attempt its just a bit small

ive tried using 2 stacked 2x barlows but cant seem to get it in focus, is that because i am stacking the barlows would it be better if i bought a seperate 3 or 4x barlow, which would seem to me to push the magnification up a bit to much

one of the barlows is the standard one that came with the scope the other is out of the revelation photovisual set

best jup-1.bmp

With the barlows, try removing the lens from the skywatcher barlow as it cuts down the light - put what becomes the extension tube between your other barlow and the eyepiece holder. You will still get your magnification. Alternatively try a more powerful barlow. That's a nice sharp image by the way!

When you magnify, you also magnify all the atmospheric distortion, so it does become harder to focus at higher power. Get the planet on screen and whack up the exposure until you can see the moons. It can be easier to try to focus on the moons than on the planet, where you can't always see much detail on screen. Once you are satisfied you have focused on the moons as best you can, reset the exposure to what looks good and just try capturing some video. When you process in Registax, you may be surprised at what you get. I have pulled some reasonable images from some really awful looking avis where I wasn't convinced anything was in focus.

Good luck.

Rachel

With the barlows, try removing the lens from the skywatcher barlow as it cuts down the light - put what becomes the extension tube between your other barlow and the eyepiece holder. You will still get your magnification. Alternatively try a more powerful barlow. That's a nice sharp image by the way!

thanks a lot will try that

when i put the extension tube between the barlow and the focuser i cant get a focus, there is not enough play in the focuser

if i put the extension tube between the barlow and the eyepiece it i can focus, does that do the same thing.

Archived