Pointers

Hallofdreams

Hi all, I just joined your group, and althought i know very little on the subject, I feel i know a lot more now since i have been going through some of your threads and topics

Since i do not have a telescope nor have i ever owed one, I would be glad of some pointers on the subject, as it seems there is such a choice out there. My main interest would be planets and astrophotograph. Price would be what advantage a few extre bucks would bring if any.

I can see how some of you get so hooked on this, and i really looking forward to getting started myself, with i hope, a little bit of help from you. Many thanks Steve.

Hi Steve

Welcome to SGL.

Have you thought about learning your way around the night sky before you go and buy a scope?

No reason why you can't go and get a scope if you want to, but if you want to build your knowledge, this can be done with very little outlay.

Feel free to ask loads of questions, everyone is very helpful here

Marko

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum.

The first pointer would be to take your time, "the stars aren't going anywhere!" There is a lot to read up on and it is very easy (we've all done it) to be seduced by some of the toys that are out there. My biggest pointer for you is to start looking through some kit. I am surprised at how many people buy kit without ever having looked through it to know whether it will meet their expectations. At this time of year (in addition to BBC's Stargazing Live) many local observing clubs and astro societies have public viewing nights and this is a great way for you to gauge the size and cost of these scopes versus optical gain etc. Another pointer is to read up a little before entering the 'dark side' (astrophotograph) :):D. A book by Steve Richards, "Making Every Photon Count" will help you understand what kit you need, how to use it and why you need it to get the type of images you want. It doesn't follow that a scope good for observing naturally lends itself to imaging by simply attaching a camera on the back - if only it were that simple. In fact you get out what you've paid in and this book will provide you with a helpful overview that might indeed save you money. I wouldn't want your first image of a black hole to be a picture of the one in your wallet!:):D

Lastly, decide on a budget. Your research will also help you understand the other costs that maybe involved such as star maps, red torch, maybe a dew shield (dependng on the type of scope) and most importantly of all, eyepieces. Those that come with the scope are generally ok but won't necessarily allow you to get the most out of your kit if you are going to be observing. Faster scopes generally require better glass which means more expensive eyepieces.

Keep asking questions because there is a lot of experience and knowledge on the forum.

Clear skies

James

hi and welcome ,knowledge is power ! they say,read read read as much as you can and learn constellation one at a time .i am still looking all around orion theres still lots to see there for me taurus is another one a like to spend time withtry in to tease every last little bit of light out of it cheers

pat

Well you guys know how to make one feel welcome, and many thanks for that.

Thanks for the tips as well and a copy of Making Every Photon Count is now high on my list.

I see that a lot of you are using Celestron scopes, Nextstar 4-5-6 or 8 or a CPC 800 or bigger, So i ask myself is that the way to go, some of you must have had some painful flops before you got on the right road, Anyhow back to book.

Here to a clear night to you all

Steve :)

Hi steve, i'm a newbie here myself, but to give you an insight into my approach to this question... the type of scope may well depend on whether you will be viewing from home (may be too much light pollution?) or taking your new toys out to a dark spot, whatever. So... big may not be beautiful at whatever price. I personally chose a small GOTO (computerised, motor-driven) scope setup with gps and camera adaptor so that i can go 'anywhere' and just look at whats about, this sort of set-up on fleabay could set you back less than a couple of hundred, and you can always stick it back on the bay when you want to go bigger (dont forget to buy a power tank or big battery as well). Longer term investment can then be channelled into improving on your experiences and equipment at the same time once you've really got the bug.:)

Archived