SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Dew shields ..... Help!

Hi all, just had the scope out (skywatcher 150P) and after aligning & allowing to cool went out for some observing of the moon & to catch Jupiter.

After realising I'd taken the finder out the previous night it was no where near alignment - so just point at moon and Jupiter & find them no probs (well chuffed as saw jupiters bands).

After a while I started getting moisture on the eyepiece - removing it & wafting it around didn't change things so I swapped it until that went the same way.

I then thought I'd do a rough alignment of the finderscope on Betelguese but again couldn't see a thing as covered in moisture.

I allowed at least an hour to cool down, ep's aswell, so what can I do?

Are there dew shields for ep's or heated ones?

How should I store them? Currently with caps on the tripod tray.

Any suggestions would be most welcome

Chris

Hi Chris, to be honest you need to take the scope to cool down but not the eyepieces. Not in my experience anyway. I always take the eyepieces out with me when the scope is ready and have never found it to be an issue.

Hope this helps.

Mark.

You will probably need to reset the finder each time you set up the scope - find a bright star in the scope and then align the finder - it is thes "set" for that session. I wouldn't bother with the setting circles as they are next to useless!! Far too small and poorly mounted - they will probably "wobble" 5° when locked!!!

Archived