740427863_Terminatorchallenge.jpg.2f4cb93182b2ce715fac5aa75b0503c8.jpg

what star

nightfisher

If the star is below Orion, then it must be in the South. Take a line through

Orions 3 belt stars towards the horizon and the really bright obvious star is

Sirius, usually twinkling due to our turbulent atmosphere.

Best regards, Ed.

Correct me if i am wrong but isnt it the low altitude of Sirius here in the Northern Hemisphere that makes it twinkle so much?

Thats right Paul, its light is cutting through the Earths atmosphere so causing the coloured twinkles. I know that won't be the case at a higher altitude, I was thinking as its the brightest star in the night sky it would be interesting to see it at something like 60deg to see how bright it looks compared to other stars. :)

Alan

Yes, doesnt do the big twinkle thing down under, but still a beautiful and bright star. We have fun trying to find its companian too, the 'pup'.

I will be there at the eclipse too Alan. :) Be prepared that its in Northen Australia in the wet season, we will all be taking our chances!!

Hi QldLiz, I am aware of the weather around those parts of Australia, I can only hope its a cloudless sky on the 13th, suppose that will either be a good or bad thing, it happening on that date. :)

Yes, Sirius must be quite a site, how does it compare to Jupiter in terms of luminosity to the naked eye?, it must be something to see them both close to each other. :)

Alan

Edited by Nexus 6

Im new to the sky! still learning, but last night i asked the very same question. it was incredibly bright! pulled out the planisphere and yup! it was sirius, its quite a sharp white/blue colour like george just said.

had a great night last night and by the looks of it another round tonight if the clouds stay at bay.

Yes, doesnt do the big twinkle thing down under, but still a beautiful and bright star. We have fun trying to find its companian too, the 'pup'.

I will be there at the eclipse too Alan. :) Be prepared that its in Northen Australia in the wet season, we will all be taking our chances!!

the pup!? stupid question coming up.

i thought i had managed to "split it" in my scope last night. is there a likkle tiny star to the right of it?

in my scope it appeared left due to it being a newt.

:)