Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Four Iridium flares

Are they all in that single image?

To be honest that image looks more like a meteor to me that a flare. I'm by no means an expert on flares or imaging but from all the images of flares i have seen..................the brightest part of the flare should be about half way along the "trail", as the flare grows in brightness and then fades out again. I have seen 3-4 flares with my naked eye and they were brightest about half way through.

P.S.~~~IF it is a flare OR a meteor.....................it is a blumming fine capture, so well done.

P.P.S~~~Maybe you caught the flare half way through and the brightest part of the image is the max light of it and then it slowly fades out.

Are they all in that single image?

To be honest that image looks more like a meteor to me that a flare. I'm by no means an expert on flares or imaging but from all the images of flares i have seen..................the brightest part of the flare should be about half way along the "trail", as the flare grows in brightness and then fades out again. I have seen 3-4 flares with my naked eye and they were brightest about half way through.

P.S.~~~IF it is a flare OR a meteor.....................it is a blumming fine capture, so well done.

P.P.S~~~Maybe you caught the flare half way through and the brightest part of the image is the max light of it and then it slowly fades out.

Hi - for some reason the other three images did not appear - they should be there now.

It was definitely a flare - I went out to watch it after it being predicted in Calsky, and it was very flare-like when I watched it. The shot did actually cut off before the flare finished, which made it look very meteor-like - so yes, I didn't quite manage to get the first one properly - a shame, as it was the brightest.

Ah ok i am with you now. Yes definitely the other 3 images are flares and look like flares. WELL DONE. They are beauts. That 1st image of the brightest would have been a KILLER shot if you managed to capture the whole thing.

Not to worry.

Amazing things to witness. I think the brightest flares are -8, so you were blessed to see a -7 flare.

Archived