Narrowband

Open University

01gringo

Hi all,

just thought I'd say that I've signed up for the "Introducing astonomy"(S194) course at the open university.It starts 12th Feb and I'm really looking forward to getting stuck in.

As a beginner to this hobby I thought that it would give me a great foundation in the basics. So, has anybody completed this course (I suspect many have)? Did you find it rewarding and beneficial?

Cheers

Jon

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi jon, I have completed this course and did find it a great way to learn a bit more about astronomy, I hope to study more with the OU in Astronomy but am waiting, as I believe these course's are to be changed this year, so will see what they replace them with.. :)

Alan

Hi Jon (and Alan),

I really enjoyed S194. I found it more structured than S197 How the universe works. I've also completed S151 (Maths for science), MST121 (Using Maths). I have just finished S283 (Planetary science) and S282 (Astronomy) which gives a certificate in Astronomy and Planetary Science. Both really good units - but a real pain to do at the same time!!!

Our baby was born on January 2nd, so I'm taking a break from study until June. It's going to be a mad cram to fit everything in before the Physics degree ends in 2014.

All the best for your study ahead.

I've done a few courses with OU ( the most recent ones, between 2008 and last year, being MST221 and SXR207; in previous years, S102, S268,S267,MST121, T237).

I've just registered for S197, 'How the Universe Works' mainly to keep in the uni-loop and on the topic before moving onto the heavyweights S282 & S283. I did 'Introduction to Astronomy' with Liverpool John Moores University but the credits, sadly :) , cannot be carried over to OU degree. Part of me has been thinking quite a bit about this and wondering if I should continue with the degree route. I could just do courses with LJMU which are a lot more chilled out, with lots of practical exercises and enjoy the learning :) ... I'll think about it a bit more. I'm quite discouraged after SXR207: lots of work & money but not very rewarding in the end.

If I stay on S197, I'll be taking the 5 months route.

I'm doing 'How the universe works' and it is fantastic - it gives you a perspective of the things you are viewing with the scope! It is great - you get a book and some notes to read, and then you can do the questions online with all your notes and book with you!

I really want to start doing some of these courses but it seems that everything is changing too much. I want to be able to do what I want without worrying about cramming everything in before things are discontinued or changed.

I wanted to do the astrophysics degree but there's not enough time to do all of the units now. I think the only option is a degree in natural sciences with astronomy based units chosen but I think even they're changing too.

If you want to do a full monty degree part time distance learning then the University of Central Lancashire do this.

Distance Learning Courses in Astronomy, Cosmology and Astrobiology, Education, Study, Studies and University Degrees

I did my combined sciences degree (including astrophysics there).

Dave...

I just stumbled across that website whilst looking at Astronomy via Distance Learning.

Seems to be part of the University of Central Lancashire but the webiste doesn't seem to be there.

I assumed the course had been discontinued, do you know any different perhaps??

I am currently doing S283, planetary science and the search for life and will be starting S282 Astronomy in a couple of weeks.

The planetary science course is so far everything I expected, you get to study each planet, asteroids, comets, etc, their internal working, geological, atmosphere, gas giants. The course comes in two parts, 1, Introduction to the solar system, 2.Astrobiology. Really facinating stuff. Can't wait for S282 to start!

Alie

Ive always wanted to get back into this kind of thing. When I were a (totally green) lad I went to UCL but fowled up the 1st year - mainly cos I was so green.However Id love to do it Distance now.

Hi all,

I managed to squeeze the following into my Geosciences degree - good times!!! ;-)

S196 (Planets)

S194 (Astronomy)

S286 (Planetary Science & the search for life - all textbook based astrobiology/ astrophysics) goes hand in hand with....

SXR208 (Observing the Universe Residential course based in Observatory Mallorca - it's basically Astrophysics, spectroscopy that sort of thing...excellent)

Some of it was heavy going at times, like doing maths at 4am in the morning after a long nights observing, but well worth every moment.

All the best

Claire

The people that are currently studying at the OU... what qualification are you working towards by doing the astro units?

I'm studying towwards a Bsc(Hons) Open. This is a degree where you basically choose any subjects you want to study. Whether you get a Ba or BSc depends on the modules you choose. Most of my modules were in computer science (programming and software development), I decided to also get a certificate in Astronomy and Planetary Science on the way to the degree. But I've really caught the bug and may go for another degree in Natrual Sciences (Astronomy route)! :)

I was planning on doing the astronomy course too, but I'm not too sure with all the structure and courses changing.

I've just finished S189 Understanding the Weather and this was a great course. At least I can tell which clouds are stopping me from viewing the sky! It was a challenge and you have to be dedicated, but they are enjoyable, especially learning a subject you are interested in and because you want to learn it.

My 2p's worth

I'm doing my currently doing my 4th Module from JMU, and I can’t recommend them highly enough, and infinitely less stressful than the OU.

I do also believe there is talk of JMU offering higher degrees via distance learning which i do quite fancy.

My 2p's worth

I'm doing my currently doing my 4th Module from JMU, and I can’t recommend them highly enough, and infinitely less stressful than the OU.

I do also believe there is talk of JMU offering higher degrees via distance learning which i do quite fancy.

Which courses are you doing?

If you mean at LJMU I've done Cosmology, Gamma Ray Bursts, Galaxies, And just signed up for the Science of Science fiction. ( I also started to do Exoplanets, but went to the Ashes instead :-) ).

My only peice of advice on most of the courses are is that lots of the course work involves working with big data sets. Plotting, manipulating, etc.. whilst you dont need super maths knowledge, you'll save hours of pain if you are good with Excel!

Cheers

MArtin

PS: (An MBA from the OU which may explain why I found it stressful)

Martin. I have been looked at the Galaxies course at the JUM. Ideally want a course for interest as I'm not bothered about getting a qualification at the end. Is this course scientific in nature, as opposed to descriptive? They said that it is related to resaearch work they do so is quite up to date in content. I can cope with the maths.

Archived