Chosen my Telescope but now the mount?

the lemming

Hello

After a lot of help and advice from the forum over the last week or so, I have decided to buy a SkyWatcher 200P telescope. My next question is what I should use to mount the telescope.

I've read about dobson mounts and looked at images of EQ5 mounts but as yet I haven't physically stood in front of either products in my life so I can't really comment on how they work or how comfortable they are to use.

I would very much appreciate any advice on how these bits of kit perform and how comfy they are to use them?

Is it also possible to get some sort of tracking device attached to either of them in the future, i.e. when I can afford it later in the year?

The priority at the moment is still portability for transporting the whole setup in the back of a car. Photography is not on the cards at the moment however I do own a dSLR and may want to play with that one day.

Cheers

You can have the 200P in 2 "flavours":

Skyliner 200P dobsonian - 8" F/6

Explorer 200P EQ mounted - 8" F/5

If you want portability I'd go for the dobsonian. As an F/6 it's also easier to collimate and kinder on low cost eyepieces.

I'm not a fan of EQ mounts to be honest but I'm sure others will come up with some convincing arguments in the opposite direction.

If you are likely to want to track then the EQ5 mounted scope is definately the way to go.

Optically both very similar although, personally, I think the F/6 dobsonain does a little better on planets because its secondary mirror is a little smaller.

I'm sure you would be happy with either.

Visual - Dobsonian

Photos - EQ

However to be good for Astrophotography I would think you would really want an EQ6.

If you interest is visual just now then probably best to get the dob, use it and then sell it on if you want to get into photography. But be warned, Astrophotography is VERY expensive and very demanding on time and equipment.

Get as big a Dobsonian as you can afford and move around and enjoy the great views!!!

Cheers

Archived