Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Nikon 10x42 SEs

dlp

Picked up a pair of these from Clifton Cameras this morning, current price £399 against the original £700+. Needless to say I haven't had chance to use them for stargazing yet, but my first impressions are very favourable - absolutely tack sharp & bright, positive focussing and lightweight, very comfortable in the hands.

Will update when I've looked at the heavens, but thought I'd post as these are a bargain compared to the original price. They're being phased out by Nikon I believe, probably in favour of the now popular roof prism variety.

David

PS the staff at CCs were probably the most polite and helpful I've ever met in a camera shop.

Your reply prompted me that I hadn't written anything further!

I've had a few stargazing sessions with these now, and I was wowed by the clarity of the image, the sheer colours in the stars, and just as importantly how good they were to use. The first night I used them the seeing was quite good and I found no difficulty in finding M31 as an example. I took out an old pair of cheapo 7x50s, and some Canon 8x25 IS's to compare, but there just wasn't any comparison - the Nikons just blew them away. Same on daylight terrestrial targets too - I can see why birders like these.

Wish I had a camera lens the same quality!

David

Archived