SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Another 2 off the list!!

crabbiT Scot

Hi all,

Well, we had a clear night where I live last night, so I had to take full advantage. I set up my scope around 19:45, bathed my daughter, then headed out around 20:20.

Firstly I took my usual peak at Jupiter, and of course the moon. Next on my list though, and the main reason I went out, were the 2 Messier objects M81 and M82.

I read the instructions in Turn Left at Orion, and sought out the big dipper, which I can find no problem now :) This is where my problems started!! The book says to have the star Dubhe in my viewfinder, but to be honest, I looked in my viewfinder and had no idea which star was in there!!

I knew roughly where I was going, but with the moon so bright last night, I am guessing viewing conditions could be better??

Well, to cut a long story short, I spent the next 1 hour and 45 minutes, yes that's right, 105 minutes looking about at random stars, cold, frustrated, and feeling generally stupid. I was honestly away to call it a day and head to bed when, as I had once last glance through the scope, I could see what looked like 2 blurry patches of light. You wouldn't believe the smile appearing on my face!!! I focused a little better, and using averted vision, I was sure I had finally found my targets!!! Another dance in the garden hehe. I genuinely thought they looked stunning, especially M82 (the more elongated object???) Having 2 galaxies in my FOV which are 12 million light years from us certainly put me to bed with a smile.

Thanks,

Scott

Well done Scott, that pair can certainly be a tricky find. Sometimes I can get straight to them with my dob and other times it can take me ages. I've found a Telrad finder is the easiest way.

The sky doesn't give up it's deep sky secrets without a fight which makes the reward so much better when you get there

Yes, I would love to see them with no moon, maybe next time I'll also try and get out to a dark site :) Can I ask, would a red dot finder be beneficial, as I am struggling identifying which stars I have in my finderscope!! Are there any one people could recommend?

Thanks,

Scott

Nice one. It does get easier. Nothing like the satisfaction of finding something new -doesn't bother me if it's just a faint smudge. Infact the harder to see it the more sense of achievement I get.

The satisfaction was definately there!! I even managed to get the wife to have a look, as she was curious what I had just spent a whole evening looking for lol. I don't think she was particularly impressed, until I told her what she was looking at, then I think she had the wow factor also!!

Now to pick my next target :)

Nice one (two)! M82 is the thinner, more elongated of the two. M81 is brighter. I did get M81, M82 and nearby NGC 3077 in one FOV in my old 6" F/8, and later with the 15x70s from a very dark site in France. With the current level of moonlight that would be hard, but next new moon give it a try. Your scope should be up to it.

Nice one (two)! M82 is the thinner, more elongated of the two. M81 is brighter. I did get M81, M82 and nearby NGC 3077 in one FOV in my old 6" F/8, and later with the 15x70s from a very dark site in France. With the current level of moonlight that would be hard, but next new moon give it a try. Your scope should be up to it.

Thanks mate, I'll give it a try :)

Well done.

I have spent ages trying to locate those two, but have yet to do so.

It took me ages to find them, but well worth it. Just keep on trying :)

I am going to try again once the moon has gone, it sure is bright!

What's the bets I can't find them again lol

Archived