Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Photoshop astrophotography tutorials

Quatermass

QM,

You have been busy since last we Pm'ed someones been a busy chap, LOL:D:D

It's all moving so quickly, well done, for eveything, lots of benifit for the kack handed of us!!. Its still absolute rubbish weather up here, as lanacashire members can vouch for.

P/shop?, very expensive?. is it worth it?

• 3 weeks later...

I found this set of tutorials called '-digging out the details'- by Ken Crawford, He starts of using another programme like deep sky stacker then when he has used that he moves onto photoshop in layer blend the details section. Possibly the best set of tutorials out there and well worth going through. The colour boost and sharpening sections are fantastic 10 out of 10.

Digging Out The Details with Ken Crawford

Yes I've had look through those a while ago,( information over load). But yes a great set of instructions + I think there was a HDR tutorial as well.

I try to cross some these tutorials over to Gimp with some varying success. Saving my pennies up for Photoshop, ( could be some time. LOL

• 8 months later...

This is silly but I can't seem to find how to combine Ha and OIII stacked images in PS (CS5). I've done it before with my wide field images (as Ha, OIII, OIII mapped to R, G, B ) and now I have Ha and OIII from my new 314L+ mono CCD camera I'm blowed if I can see how I did it :( I've searched all over the place both here and Google with no joy.

Can someone put me out of my misery and frustration, Please?

Edited by Gina

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This information is fantastic, many thanks all. I'm old school (and old) and I like to print out instructions to have them on my lap when I am processing images. Does anyone have a link to a PDF / printable tutorial which takes you through the Photoshop process from levels and curves through to colour, saturation etc? I may be being too demanding. Shucks you guys are ace!

• 5 months later...

Added a few more tutorials to my growing collection of PS tutorials on my utube channel. Here is my latest one a nice little tip for rounding up egg shaped stars and setting an action for it. More on the same channel for you to look at enjoy..QM

• Like 5

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
On ‎17‎/‎01‎/‎2011 at 10:23, Quatermass said:

From another thread on imaging thought it would be helpful to post any links we might all have on astrophotography on line tutorials that we have all found to be helpful.

So heres a few I have found to get the ball rolling..

http://sharmaastrone...age.com/PS1.pdf

Levels_and_Curves_for_Photoshop

Astro Imaging Tutorials Photoshop Processing Nebulosity DeepSky Stacker

Star Color Enhancement in PhotoShop CS

Loads more out there but hopefully we can all find some more good ones and share them with each other.. :)

PS>>>Can you all keep thanks and comments to a bare minimum and just post the links to any great tutorials you have found with a short intro for us all, I promise to tidy this thread up when I have time. Many thanks everyone for contributing. :grin: QM

I'm sure that Mr. Damian Peach's astro-images have circulated around the Stargazers Lounge website and various public media before....but it's always nice to once again show his splendid astro-images to those (first-timers) and others who are less experienced and are also striving for perfection in thier astro-imaging efforts too....> 

http://www.damianpeach.com/

Klitwo

Edited by Klitwo

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/12/2012 at 01:54, Gina said:

This is silly but I can't seem to find how to combine Ha and OIII stacked images in PS (CS5). I've done it before with my wide field images (as Ha, OIII, OIII mapped to R, G, B ) and now I have Ha and OIII from my new 314L+ mono CCD camera I'm blowed if I can see how I did it :( I've searched all over the place both here and Google with no joy.

Can someone put me out of my misery and frustration, Please?

Edited December 10, 2012 by Gina

Im not quite sure what you are asking, since you seem to answer your own question. But Ive just started doing Ha, OIII, OIII to R,G,B.

This Astrobackyard is a good starter and then I followed my nose. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyIYLAIjfnQ

You need to create an OIII copy so you have 2 distinct OIII images.  The images need to be greyscale and must be exactly the same dimensions.  The go to channels and select merge.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...
On 19/12/2022 at 08:38, Karl Perera said:

I shall surely be returning to this page as a reference because Photoshop is what I am using and I need to improve.

It remains a wonderful program for astrophotographers. I refer to it as 'civilization,' to which I return after carrying out adjustments in more barbaric environments!

:grin:lly

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 04/09/2023 at 12:23, ollypenrice said:

It remains a wonderful program for astrophotography's. I refer to it as 'civilization,' to which I return after carrying out adjustments in more barbaric environments!

:grin:lly

I've not been on this thread for such a looooong time, I forgot all about it to be honest. The above comment just tickled me.☺️

Edited by Cozzy
typo
  • Haha 1