Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NEQ6 Strip & Tune

MG1

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just out of interest...is it possible to plot periodic error using a dslr, or do you need a CCD camera?
You can do it 'by hand'. Line the camera up so that RA is either vertical or horizontal, then just take loads of ~1sec exposures on a suitable star field near the equator, separated, say, 15sec apart. You probably need an intervalometer or PC control for this. Then just measure the xy positions of a few stars in each frame (I just use a cursor in GIMP) and plot them against the time in the EXIF header. You also need to know what your pixel scale is to convert to arcsecs.

I posted one done this way for my HEQ5 somewhere in the forum about a year ago.

NigelM

YEEESSSS!!!

The Stonyhill observatory Atlas guide! I thought it was gone forever.

When that site disappeared, I was completely gutted, because I'd promised a friend I'd help him overhaul his school's EQ6 mounts.

Thank dog for one-and-only original Beevo, we got through it because of his instructions, but it certainly would have been nice to have the Stonyhill obs page handy too!

Once again Michael thanks for salvaging this and making it available once more.

As Mel mentioned...her guide is quite a lot easier to follow than the stoneyhill one....very step by step. And most importantly covers the reassembly. A fine piece of work.

And if there's anything that needs clarifying you can PM AB....too!

I can't really take any credit for simply pointing out my sources....but thanks for you comments.

Now I'm sure someone should get Mel one of the new EQ8s to play with to see if it needs some work.....can't imagine she wouldn't like the challenge.

I can't really take any credit for simply pointing out my sources....but thanks for you comments.

Well without your sources we would not have access to Stoneyhill obsy's must-have Atlas/EQ6 guide, so thanks for sharing them!

I keep hoping ioptron will let me play with one of theirs :). Good to meet you tday MG, quite a tasty old mount on the astrotrac stand wasn't it :)

Likewise....I do love CNC'd and anodised Al over cast and powder coated, but can't help wonder if it's going to be more of a bit of bling than anything else....but yes, quite a piece of engineering.

I'd like to see some application of friction drives though....shame that fancy dutch mount wasn't being displayed anywhere. That is unless I missed it? Would have like to see how smooth it is up close.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have finally gotten the last part of the EQ6 guide online. THis concerns supertuning the mount with the upgraded Delrin shim washers.

Thansk to all who have contributed to this guide - especially MG1 for finnaly prompting me to get it finished.

Its online here EQ6/Atlas Supertuning Guide

it also includes a shim calculator for those who like stuff made as easy as possible when your up to your arms in lithium grease :)

:(...no thanks needed Mel.

'Twas after all your guide that inspired me to give it a go.

Keep it up as I'm sure there will be many a tweaker that will love this new guide....

Well done... :)

Michael

That's a great read A-B:icon_salut::)

<Annoying pedant mode on> Strictly speaking, you are using a vernier calipers not a micrometer in your write-up. This is a micrometer:

<Annoying pedant mode off>

;):p

That's NOT a Micrometer!

This is a Micrometer

mak127_20_inch_mic.jpg

So there!

Mak127 to keep the Astro Theme and for scale :( (it's a 20" Micrometer)

But to be really pedantic these are external micrometers There are Depth micrometers, Bore Micrometers Groove Micrometers etc etc etc.....

Proper tool for this application would be a Height Gauge really.

Wayne....

If yr going to pick daft holes in someones time spent trying to make life easier for us trespass....depart now to CN and vent yr spleen there!

There are nicer ways to share a little knowledge....grow up!

That's NOT a Micrometer!

This is a Micrometer

So there!

Mak127 to keep the Astro Theme and for scale :) (it's a 20" Micrometer)

But to be really pedantic these are external micrometers There are Depth micrometers, Bore Micrometers Groove Micrometers etc etc etc.....

Proper tool for this application would be a Height Gauge really.

Wayne....

I bow to your superior pedantry:D

A-B's article (along with all her other articles) was a great read, and I said so. I personally found her site very, very useful to me as a noob, and long may she continue to write informative, useful, well-vocalised articles.

My comment was a tongue-in-cheek comment, and meant as a little bit of silly humour. No offence was implied or intended, and if A-B was offended I apologise publicly.

<edited>

Sorry guys...I admit I over reacted a little and I hope you'll forgive me. I do however know that it can be very disheartening when even in jest people people criticise your work at such a level. It does make people less likely to chip in.

It is far easier to criticise than to praise, although I realise both were present and the emphasise on the negative was mine not yours.

I hope there's no hard feelings...and I'll resolve not to type hasty replies on my phone when I haven't read the whole thread. (oops)

Are we good?

Michael

PS ouch with the MT quote... :)

Not worried really. The box the tool came in said it was a 'digimatic caliper' but I thought that was a bit of a gobful.

It was actually donated by another member of SGL as a thanks for the original tune up guide and as an encouragement to get on with the supertune guide.

I'm not worried by pedantry really but thank you MG1 for your gallant defence :). Its ok though, AB usually carries a stout handbag for any occasions where it may be needed complete with its lead weight :(

I'm not worried by pedantry really but thank you MG1 for your gallant defence :). Its ok though, AB usually carries a stout handbag for any occasions where it may be needed complete with its lead weight :(

Hell hath no fury like a scorned woman armed with a large Louis Vuitton?

Be afraid, be very afraid:D

Calipers make useful weapons Mel :) I'll defend myself to the death with my 1000mm Vernier Calipers though!

What is trying to be achieved here reminds me of when I used to have to setup spiral bevel gears to close to zero backlash in an engine application. I guess the proper term used in engine circles is "blueprinting" ie taking note of tolerance stacks and mixing, matching or even re-machining parts to achieve the ideal or optimum.

In the case of an eq6 good bearings will help a lot as discussed, but I do not subscribe to the BS surrounding ceramic bearings. Ceramics are for high speed/temp applications, they are most often used in small gas turbines and in my industry they are used in high speed machine spindles. In the latter they actually cause a problem sometimes with static buildup and spindles need to be grounded via a brush to discharge this. Hardly going to be an issue with a Mount of course.

My personal recommendation is for high grade (ABEC5 or above) steel bearings.

Wayne....

All input gratefully accepted. Most of my guides are based on knowledge thats out there but I try to codify and make it more accessible.

To qoute Newton "If I have seen further it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Thats pretty much how I see it - some of it is 'pioneering' of a sort. For instance when I took the HEQ5 to bits I didnt have a clue and no manuals to act as a guide either. My dad used to say 'if it was made by humans then other humans should be able to work out how it was done" he was thinking more of Aztec pyramids and the Nazca plains than mere mechical telescope mounts but it kind of holds true I guess.

ANyway no offence taken and if someone has hard data I am happy to incorporate it into guides to provide a better resource for all to use.

I'm chilled out about stuff is the main and very little winds me up - when you have had as many close to deathto death experiences as me you learn to calm down a bit and not stress yourself too much :)

That's interesting Wayne.The reason why I mentioned ceramic bearings is that they seem to have a very low internal resistance (certainly superior to mass produced steel bearings). Again, I have only seen them in motorbike wheel applications, and they seemed impressive (but are very sensitive IIRC to variances in preload). Obviously, a mount does not need to be able to withstand high speeds....low stiction and low eccentricity are more important.

Archived