Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NEQ6 Strip & Tune

MG1

Sy - there are various kits from the USA - the kits as far as I know come with replacement bearings, teflon washers and a how to guide. They cost a fortune though. Far more than the bearings and washers.

There was someone in the US who at one time was doing precision worm replacements which were super high spec - they qere the price of an HEQ5 mount to the best of my recall. He stopped doing it ages ago.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mel - Sounds like an opportunity over here :) Although those washers are a pita to find. The bearings are simple to find though. I think spending a fortune on a new worm replacement would be going a wee bit too far. But I guess it is 'hyper' fine tuning :)

Michael (Tweedy) - Let me have a look....two secs.

Also have tuned up my own EQ6 (thanks to Mel's guide), to note on getting the main bearings back as they have tight 'inteference' fit, I put the bearings in freezer for few mins to make them contract (opposite of MG heat gun idea :) ) - worked fine and went back in easily. On the whole was quite straightforward to strip/rebuild, was in good condition and looked after hence no issues. One benefit I found was the replacement of grease made the RA axis a lot more 'free flowing'

Mel, these are the SKF Steel bearings I used for the worm gear:

4No. SKF 608-2RSH £2.79+VAT each

SKF | Mechanical Components | Bearings and Seals | Ball Bearings | Sealed SKF |608-2RSH

I agree that it's probably not worth replacing the main axis and thrust bearings...and it does add quite a bit onto the project costs. But for completeness in addition to those above, these are what I used:

6No. SKF 6008-2RS1 £6.91+VAT each

SKF | Mechanical Components | Bearings and Seals | Ball Bearings | Sealed SKF |6008-2RS1

1No. SKF 30206-J2/Q £11.82+VAT

SKF | Mechanical Components | Bearings and Seals | Roller Bearings | Single Row - Tapered Rollers |30206 J2/Q

1No. SKF 32208-J2/Q £17.98+VAT

SKF | Mechanical Components | Bearings and Seals | Roller Bearings | Single Row - Tapered Rollers |32208 J2/Q

Hope that helps someone...;)

As for the brass worm wheel.... I found that if I lifted the wheel as far up the axis as I could go and then continued to lift so that the housing was elevated...as I spun the housing and axis (keeping hold of the brass wheel) it eventually found it's seating and slid off.

No force required.

I think I have been very lucky...:)

Good luck with your grubbin' around Michael...:) This is what's so amazing about SGL...a real learnin' carin' place!

Zues is my friend.. The yellow and black covered engineers pocket book not the Greek God of the same name...

Billy....(ducks as a lightning bolt goes wizzing past his lughole)

sounds like I've gotta get me one of those!

I'm still excited because the guys at RS gave me one of their catalogues to take home...around 3 yellow pages thickness of bits and widgets....If I knew what I was doing I'm sure I could build anything from that book!

Sort of reminds me of being about 8 and getting the lego technik mailorder spares catalogue....a world of endless possibilities!

woohoo :)

I put the bearings in freezer for few mins to make them contract (opposite of MG heat gun idea ;) ) - worked fine and went back in easily.

That was my first thought...but then I worried about introducing any moisture into the bearings from condensation as they warmed up. :)

but then I worry about lots of things of little significance...hence why all the bearings got replaced...not just the ones that needed it!

I'm a rip-off garage's dream when the car goes in! :)

LOL - Did RS give you the complete catalogue set - they sent me one in the post and it was so heavy I could hardly lift it :) It was about 6 enormous catalogues split into electronics, engineering, tools etc.

You could in fact build almost anything from the catalogues and I almost always get all my bits from RS, they arent cheap but their tools are usually the best going, and they usually have everything in stock for next day delivery. How they do that with such a vast catalogue I have no idea - I am secretly convinced they have a teleporter at the back of their trade counter. I have a trade counter near me and have yet to ask for something, no matter how obscure, that they havent been able to produce from 'out the back' - thats why I am convinced they have a secret teleporter.

When I worked in a college I used to hate the call that the "RS catalogues" are in the main reception for you lot in the enginneering block... we used to get one set for Each lectrurer and technician...

Billy...

LOL - I know exactly where you're coming from.. and the double laugh is that the on-line catalogue is a breeze to use too.

I'm sure they could shave a few p off their prices and save a moderately sized rain forest by cutting back on their paper catalogues!

I agree that they are a little heavy on the forests...but I just don't get the satisfaction from the online form that requires you to input what you're after...

....thingiemajig widget whatsit does work!

I like to browse and think...'what could I use that for?' :)

the catalogue itself might make a very good counterweight for example :)

The RS catalogue also makes a great backstop when I'm shooting things with an air rifle lol.

Personally I prefer the on-line version but I can understand the fun in browsing the paperbacks.

ps does anyone know the worm and wheel spec for the RA and Dec? It's probable that I can get access to some very high spec sets of gears that could be used if I end up stripping my NEQ6 Pro

It's probable that I can get access to some very high spec sets of gears that could be used if I end up stripping my NEQ6 Pro

:) Can you let me know if you do, I'd certainly be interested in getting hold of a set too...and maybe a bulk order will help lower the costs?

I'm sure there would be a few people interested in this...

Very interesting indeed :) I'm up for a co-op on anything if it becomes cheap :)

Although I'd like to hear how people (who've already used them) got on with them.

On a different note...one thing I found when trying to eliminate the annoying noise (yes, it was my motivation more then anything lol) was when I held the worm gear in my hand and ran the motors...then held it against the transfer gear...the noise was made right there. You know...that annoying coffee grinder noise. I sorted the motors earlier but it remained (somewhat quieter). I might try some better/nylon washers.

Others have found completely different things but it was very strange. It's amplified throughout the main chassis so I'm going to put some sound absorber on the inside of the motor chamber too (like on sinks) to see how it goes.

It goes away with tighter mesh but that's the last thing anyone should do.

I know it's superficial...indulge me! lol

Archived