Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The distance of the moon

Hi All.

I'm brand new to this site, and the world of astronomy, so please forgive my newbie questions.

I know that the moon is closer to us at times than others, my question is, when is it closer to us in the UK?

Would I get a better view during this period?

It varies in distance from earth by roughly only 30,000 miles in the course of it's eliptical orbit. I wouldn't think it will be substantially different in terms of viewing through a scope unless you were taking some kind of accurate measurements.

However there are times when you can see more round the limb on one side or other due to libration.

Here's a link for more info:

Earth's Moon

because after one night you cant deal with not seeing the amazing features of the universe but rather just seeing normal day to day life and people who dont appreciate the universe ruining it all :) i feel the same way i was really looking forward to the first night and now after it im just becoming irritated lol

Hi John Denim,

The moon is also moving away from earth by about one and a half inches per year. So, for someone who is 48 yrs old and 6`tall, the moon has moved their body length (six feet) since they were born. :) (Other ages and heights apply, but this is all the math I can handle tonight!)

and the mind plays tricks on us as well. I remember taking a canoe ride one night under a full moon. My mother had told me not to do it. That being outside on the water was a bad idea at night. The moon was simply enchanting as it reflected off of the water. I remember thinking how much bigger it seemed, that it was surely closer.

I was young and wanted to know much more.

You know,.. if I had listened to my mother and remained inside that night. I might have never fallen in love with astronomy. It's the "little things" that compel us to look further.

Isabelle

People go abroad in the summer, usually. The full moon, being opposite the sun, stays closer to the horizon in the summer (because the sun dips less under it) than the winter. When the moon is close to the horizon, it feels like it's bigger because it can more easily be compared to things on Earth.

The next full moon, for instance, will be really high in the sky at midnight.

People go abroad in the summer, usually. The full moon, being opposite the sun, stays closer to the horizon in the summer (because the sun dips less under it) than the winter. When the moon is close to the horizon, it feels like it's bigger because it can more easily be compared to things on Earth.

The next full moon, for instance, will be really high in the sky at midnight.

It also seems bigger then because atmospheric lensing effects really do magnify things near the horizon. This is why the sun and moon seem to move much more quickly at sun- and moon-set; it is also why some motor controllers have a slightly faster speed setting for following things near the horizon.

J.

Hmm, interesting - and I have believed that for years! Further reading on the subject here for anyone who is interested - it appears the explanation for the illusion is still not clear-cut... The Moon Illusion Explained.

Given this is nonsense and the moon (and everything else) getting bigger nearer the horizon is an illusion, what are these people on about? See the opening line of the Mototrak V review, where it discusses the "King" speed, here: Three Motor Drive Correctors: A review of the Vega, QuartzDrive and the MotoTrak V - Review. To quote, "King is slightly faster than sidereal and is used for tracking objects near horizon when the lensing effect of the atmosphere causes the object to move faster than it does when it is higher up.". This may just be a misinterpretation by the review but what use could the "King" speed have otherwise? Is it just marketing twaddle or something useful? This device is made by JMI who seem to be quite reputable in the motor corrector field (I feel another let-down coming on!) so I was quite happy to take this at face value until now.

Cheers (and apologies for the misinformation!),

J.

Archived