Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Webcam help please

I have converted my webcam (an ASDA cheapy one) for astro imaging and tonight with it's clear skies was the first opportunity for me to try it out.

I managed to find Jupiter and it filled a large portion of the frame which was pleasing. However I find myself unable to change the exposure so instead of seeing a nicely shaded Jupiter with the band across it as I can see through my eyepiece I just get a bright white blob burning a hole in my screen. I believe I have it in good focus and have tried putting one and only filter (the moon filter that came with my scope) over it but a still can't get the brightness right.

The software I am using is Astrosnap Lite which I found free on the internet.

Sooooooo. Is the webcam or is it the software, or as is most likely the case, is it me? Any advice would be most welcome.:)

Thanks for the link. I've downloaded this software and it lets me adjust the exposure and gain which the other program wouldn't. Haven't had another chance to catch Jupiter again this evening as I'm on first call for nappy changing duties now.

Archived