Narrowband

Complete novice from Kirkby in Ashfield

JohnDenim

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, that was quick thank you.

I'm used to forums, but I wonder if anyone can help as far as 'starting at the beginning' ? Which threads should I start with?

Sorry, maybe I should start from the beginning!

I'm a complete novice, but the night sky has always interested me.

I guess like many, watching programmes on tv has prompted me to join a forum, and about 2 hours ago, buy a budget telescope.

Which, may have been a mistake, as I have set it up, can see the moon through the finder scope but nothing else?

From the manual it says I should "focus the telescope" and "align the view finder" in the day time, will this help?

For what it's worth, I don't really understand...

Thanks everyone!

Well, just been having a play, my ten year old son and I have just seen the moon closer than ever, we are ecstatic!

I think the view finder is totally out of alignment from the main lens, I just took out the eye piece, moved until there was the most light in the eye piece holder, and bang! A beautiful moon. I'm looking forward to seeing more, and my next target is my favourite, Jupiter and it's moons!!

Hi John, welcome to the forum.

You are correct about the finder scope, find a distant target, and get that in the main scope view. Then adjust the finder so they are both looking at the same object. You do this in daylight as you get some reference, with the background scenery, as to the direction you need to move the finder to align with the main scope view.

Enjoy!

Hi John,

Welcome to SGL. I'm sure you'll find lots of info in the forums and lots of people ready and willing to give good advice on setting up your scope. As BAZ says, best done in daytime using a distant object like an aerial, lampost or chimney, these don't move :)

Thanks all, very pleased to be here!

Ok, so it's cold (er) now, I have had the best time in the last two hours,( alone, in the back garden, and sober ) I have had for a long time!

I find it so strange that things move so quickly!

I get a perfect view, come inside for a brew, and when I return the moon has long gone!

Hi John and welcome to the forum.

The higher the magnification, the narrower the field of view and yes, the quicker the image moves across the eyepiece. Can be a bit of a pain without some kind of tracking because there seems to be no time to really get a good focus on the object - welcome to astonomy! :)

Clear skies

James

Hi John, a warm welcome to the SGL forum, I see you have been advised on your finder scope and found the Moon, download the free program Stellarium this will help you to find your way about the night sky, enjoy your scope.

John.

Archived