SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Moon DSLR settings

Geno

If I get a break in the clouds tonight I plan on getting some pictures of the moon.

I will be using my DSLR (Eos 550D) at prime focus on my SW 200P. I did try a few days ago and couldn't seem to get the settings right, I am a newbie with a DSLR and still learning.

Do I need to change shutter speed, aperture, iso setting depending on the phase (hence brightness) of the moon ??

Forget it, clouds have rolled in and it's raining; Cyprus not an astronomers paradise !!!!!

If you are using the camera at prime focus on your scope then you cannot adjust the aperture via the camera. On a bright subject like the moon set the ISO to 100 and experiment with the shutter speed to make sure that the brighter parts are not over exposed. The shutter speed will probably vary from 1/50th to 1/500th or more for the different phases of the moon.

If you are using the camera at prime focus on your scope then you cannot adjust the aperture via the camera. On a bright subject like the moon set the ISO to 100 and experiment with the shutter speed to make sure that the brighter parts are not over exposed. The shutter speed will probably vary from 1/50th to 1/500th or more for the different phases of the moon.

Ok thanks, will experiment when the clouds clear. I knew about the aperture don't know why I mentioned it :):confused:

Archived