1825338873_SNRPN2021banner.jpg.68bf12c7791f26559c66cf7bce79fe3d.jpg

A little advice required...

Hi All,

I have a milestone birhtday in March and will have a small budget of about £250-300 for my present! I am looking for advice for a second telescope to complement the Refractor that I already own (Bresser Sirius 70mm - F11/12)

I am quite keen on the idea of a Dobsonian Reflector and have seen a number of posts on here about the various Skywatcher scopes and the pros/cons. I think the Skyline 200p seems to be a popular choice and powerful scope but how much of a difference will there be to my current scope?

I like observing planetary detail and my current scope seems pretty good at this so far although I have not seen planets through any other scope! I have a selection of good quality Plossl eyepieces and filters all 1.25" so would like to be able to use these on both scopes.

What scope would people reccommend?

Thanks in advance

Simon

hello simon I think you will be amazed at the difference between the 200p and the bresser all the planets will show more detail and you will be able to see some dso's it would complement it very well. I think you would be very happy with your milestone birthday present

Hey rowan, you day you'd see some dso's with the 200, how much more would you see with a 250/300?

Sorry for butting in.

I may not have made myself clear. I meant that you will see them as faint fuzzies not as astropics so you won't see colour but all the messier objects will be visible sone of them you will see very well. open clusters will be amazing even from urban skies

The Skyliner 200P is a very capable Planetary scope. I have used one a lot for my planetary observations and rate it very highly. It is very light, cools quickly and holds collimation very well. If collimation does need to be done it is very easy.

The base is the weakness - some have 'sticktion' but this can be overcome with a lazy susan bearing.

Well recommended.

Edited by dweller25

There will be a considerable difference between the 200P and your current scope - especially on the number of DSO's you can see. I'd suggest a trip to your local astro soc and get a few looks through other people's scopes - I think you'll be happily surprised :)

A milestone birthday hey? Must mean 21 :)

Interested to see how this goes as I think I'm gonna be eyeing up a don in the coming months

I wish it was 21 again! Sadly not though - just the big 40, where life begins apparently!

Thanks for all the comments so far - I'm thinking the Dob is the way forward and would give me a couple of nice scopes to play with!

Simon