SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

observing sites in Oxfordshire ?

Just wondering if there are any ppl who regularly drive to dark(ish) sites to observe in South Oxfordshire (and adjacent regions).

My situation: garden is light polluted and has limited horizon. So I tend to travel to 3 sites to observe, each of which has various pros and cons. When conditions permit I'm usually pretty keen to take a trip in the car to observe new and old objects, either planned in advance or last minute.

Be good to see if there were any ppl or groups who meet up to observe in this area (or nearby) ? Or ppl who have found good sites.

Generally I have found it hard to identify ideal sites in this part of the country. In particular, the hassle element can spoil it for me. I enjoy a chilling experience stargazing, so when you cross paths with youngsters being antisocial, "doggers", police etc checking you out, it puts a downer on the experience. For this my favourite spot is very off the beaten track (only get occasional enquiries from Police "you fly-tipping mate ?", then they are very apologetic and move on....).

Jon

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Abingdon astro club have a couple of nearby sites in south Oxfordshire have a look at thier website. I am also looking in this area, south oxfordshire is to the north of me but easy to get to. I'm in Caversham north of Reading.

Which bit of SOuth Oxfordshire are you talking about? Abingdon tend to use Britwell Salome and Uffington as their sites but there are possibly many more. dark sites always have the issue of undesirables but it sometimes works if two of you turn up.

Owen

Kidlands: youre a bit of a distance from me, but the Britwell Salome site mentioned by Owen is roughly mid way. I use that site with some success including when Abingdon astro meets there. There is also an area of darkish skies S and W of Wantage, but this is quite a distance for you.

Owen: Anywhere 45mins from Abingdon is ideal. I have yet to confirm suitable sites other than what AAS use. IMO Britwell is best for not being disturbed. There are probably alternative sites in the area S, W and SW of Wantage, just needs time to check them out....Maybe someone knows ?

Which bit of SOuth Oxfordshire are you talking about? Abingdon tend to use Britwell Salome and Uffington as their sites but there are possibly many more. dark sites always have the issue of undesirables but it sometimes works if two of you turn up.

Owen

Hi Owen

By Uffington do you mean white horse hill car park or is there another site nearby?

Stephen

The national trust car park is quite good. I have tried the disabled one on the top of the hill but it is quite exposed to the wind which is not good for my Dob. There are potential others out that way as well.

Owen

Unfortunatley im in north oxfordshire and am new to astronomy, my first scope is on order.

Does anyone know of any goods sights around the Banbury area?

Have been looking for a local astronomy club but the nearest seems to be Stratford which is still 40-45 mins away.

Any help would be great!!!

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Im happy to drive to places, i hear what youre saying about yobs etc... do you get trouble from them??

Paul

Not direct hassle, its usually them speeding around in circles in their hothatches, or you may get a UFO jibe. Privacy is high up on my list of desirables for finding observing sites. It turns out that at most sites (however obscure) you will get some sort of unexpected non-astronomical human interaction, usually benign or pleasant, but its a distraction....

it was suggested we need a system like in the USA - allocated public spaces for stargazing where you need a permit to get in....

Not direct hassle, its usually them speeding around in circles in their hothatches, or you may get a UFO jibe. Privacy is high up on my list of desirables for finding observing sites. It turns out that at most sites (however obscure) you will get some sort of unexpected non-astronomical human interaction, usually benign or pleasant, but its a distraction....

it was suggested we need a system like in the USA - allocated public spaces for stargazing where you need a permit to get in....

That sounds like a great idea! :)

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone!

My partner and I are completely new to stargazing but we can't wait to get started. Sadly our back garden is no good at all. Can anyone suggest a good spot (as dark as possible with as few yobs as possible) around Bicester where we can make a start?

Any suggestions much appreciated:)

Neal & Andrea.

• 2 weeks later...

You could also try Abingdon AS who are perhaps closer than Chipping. They do have observing meets at Britwell Salome which is out the east side of Oxfordshire

Owen

• 1 year later...

Bit of a thread resurrection, but is anyone going to the Abingdon AS beginners meeting on Monday and want to hold my hand as it will be my first?

Also, if this weather ever clears up, would anyone be interested in a little observation get together somewhere in South Oxfordshire/Reading area at some stage?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived