Guide scope advice please

I'm looking into guide scopes and keep comming across this in threads

Skywatcher ED80

this one comes with the rings and mount by the looks of it but i need alittle more info on what will suit the lx200 focal range (confused a little)

i like the idea that this unit is actaully quite good in its own right (led to believe)

but is there something better i should be considering or do i just have this completely wrong?

thanks

An ED 80 is a great 'scope but probably overkill for a guide 'scope as you would not be making use of it's semi-APO capabilities. A more popular choice is the ST 80 (Short Tube 80mm). However, an advantage of the ED80 over the ST 80 *could* be the greater focal length (600mm v 400mm). There is an argument that says that a longer focal length guide 'scope would be a better match for your LX200 (I am assuming that it is an SCT?) but with the sub-pixel sampling of a modern guiding system, I am not convinced that this matters too much.

If you wanted a dual purpose 'scope then the ED 80 is a cracker!

I'm just looking into guiding with my LX200, mine is the older classic. I know very little about guiding, just looking at the manual as there is a ccd/guider port. Can this be used used or is it obsolete these days?

I can get an 8 min exposure through the mounted 66mm scope unguided so I think this will be ok for a while to play with.

Archived