SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Greetings All.

barkis

Hi. Everyone,

I must say I am very pleased I have joined this happy group of people. I have browsed the site at length, and I am aware ther is a vast pool of knowledge residing within the group I have been a member only for a short time, but I know I will hopefully be able to tap into that knowledge, as I try to acquire some skill at digital imaging. A great deal of the images produced by members of the group, are simply breathtaking, and if anyone needed inspiration, they need look no further than this website.

I have invested in a Meade 12" LX90. ( I have since learned I would have been better off with the LX200, but it is too late now.) I have also got a 6" f8 refractor, and a 80ED Apo. My camera is Just a Meade DSI. Except for some lunar and planetary observation with the 6", none of the others have been put to use yet. I have to say the weather has had a lot to do with that. Also I have been busy turning part of my garage into a workshop. I have made a few Newtonians over the years. I think I managed to produce one or two decent mirrors. I loved the sight of a beautiful parabaloid under the knife ege. I am too old to continue it now, but I still have a partially finished 16" I might go back to one day.

I am retired, so I have probably more free time than most, but is there not a saying that work will expand to fit the time available? I may have that completely wrong.

Many thanks for reading my intro, I hope I have not bored anyone too much. I look forward to meeting you in the forums,

Barkis. :)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, another glass pusher! Great! I've done a couple of small mirrors myself, the obligatory 6" F/8 and a 5" F/6 sphere, plus I hope to build a mirror machine withing the year to start some production of 5" solar scopes, (mostly for practice), and a 16" F/5 for my observatory. If you need a place in the States to finish that 16", just let me know. :)

Welcome to the forum.

I am aware ther is a vast pool of knowledge residing within the group

Sounds like there is a vast amount of knowledge residing within you, Barkis, hope you like answering questions. :)

welcome to SGL.

Andy.

Welcome aboard Barkis :)

Make yourself at home...

Some nice gear you have there and it seems a wealth of experience with making things.

Your brain might get picked quite often I think :)

Enjoy your stay

Cheers geppetto.

If anyone can find something usefull in my brain they are welcom to it.

Barkis :lol:

So, another glass pusher! Great! I've done a couple of small mirrors myself, the obligatory 6" F/8 and a 5" F/6 sphere, plus I hope to build a mirror machine withing the year to start some production of 5" solar scopes, (mostly for practice), and a 16" F/5 for my observatory. If you need a place in the States to finish that 16", just let me know. :lol:

Welcome to the forum.

Howdy Astroman. What an invitation. Oh those lovely desert skies.

Barkis :)

I am aware ther is a vast pool of knowledge residing within the group

Sounds like there is a vast amount of knowledge residing within you, Barkis, hope you like answering questions. :lol:

welcome to SGL.

Andy.

I am a bit wary about the vast amount bit Andy. But thanks for your welcome.

Barkis :)

Welcome to SGL! I would love to see some photos of those scopes you made! Mirror grinding fascinates me but I don't think I'm up to it.

Thanks Zeffer, I have sent you an email. Hope it pulls the trigger.

Barkis. :)

Good to have you with us Barkis. Don't know what you have read but I reckon you are better off with the Lx 90 unless you are working with a really large chip and need a very flat field. That DSI should allow you to get some great images. Works well with the Meade 3.3 focal reducer. Looking forward to reading your posts

Archived