SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skymax 127 OTA

Is the Skymax 127 OTA the same for all versions as I was considering a 127 Skymax Synscan AZ GOTO as a cheapish way into the hobby. The idea being that I can get an appropriate, sturdier mount later in the year once I figure out what my preferred viewing will be and can justify the expense as a fortieth birthday pressie.

Cheers,

Russell

Okay, that is interesting. To be honest, the GOTO mount would be relegated to the role of something compact to take away on holiday etc, so I'll keep an eye out for either cropping up second hand and go for the Skywatcher if there's a choice.

Quick question - Who actually makes these scopes or are they OEM designs made by some unfamiliar optical giant in China? I don't mind, Im just interested to know.

Cheers,

Russell

Quick question - Who actually makes these scopes or are they OEM designs made by some unfamiliar optical giant in China? I don't mind, Im just interested to know.

They are made by a company called Synta in China. Synta own Celestron and Skywatcher and manufacture a lot of the scopes sold under the Orion (USA) brand name as well.

A company called Synta make them. Synta now own Celestron (which used to be a completely separate company) and sell gear under that name. Skywatcher is also a brand that Synta sell under that pre-dates them buying Celestron. Orion are a separate company but are supplied by Synta for a lot of their products.

Er....I think!!!:)

a chinese company called synta owns them both. the budget end celestron's are the same near enough as the cheaper skywatcher. its only as you move higher up the ranges that they differ, to be honest the skywatcher stuff is better value at least at the bottom end. top end celestron stuff is very nice. top end skywatcher stuff is nice as well

I was right about being far eastern then. It's been much the same in the AV world where companies are bought, the R&D stays put and the manufacturing moves abroad. It's hard to like it from a local jobs point of view, but it does deliver products at amazing value.

Russell

Archived