Narrowband

Went to my first astronomy group last night

Claire

so i decided to pluck the courage up and go to my local astro club last night. my year old is really interested too, so i decided to take him along too.

it was great, benjamin was given a keyring of the discovery shuttle, a astro magazine and a lunar chart.

it was a talk on astrophotography, and it was really good. benjamin loved looking at the photos of everything

we were made to feel really welcome even though he (and me) were the youngest people there by quite a long way!

will be going back next month :)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good to hear you and Benjamin enjoyed yourself, sometimes astronomy groups can be a bit daunting, (I don't dare go to one :D) so really good to hear your experience. Also good to hear it was astronomy and not astrology :)

Tim

I keep thinking of the Life of Brian sketch with John Cleese and the stoning. All the women in beards :) Just replace Jehovah with Astrology.

Blasphemy!!!!!

LOL Russ I was thinking exactly the same while I wrote it. Thats really weird, similar minds think alike.

well i do have a canon 350D, so i have part of the 'kit' i guess. though he was talking about modding to get a red filter for £200 and i dont have a mount for it either

he was also talking about using a clock mechanism to move the camera round.

Don't worry about those bits, if you have the 350D you can start with a few bits straight away. :)

Just some simple constellation images are nice to do. Just need a camera tripod and a wide angle lens (18-55 kit lens will do the job nicely). And a cheap remote from Ebay for £3. Actually you don't even need the remote to start with. Just set the camera to manual, 20 or perhaps 30second exposure. Manual focus. Play with the iso settings and see what you get. Look great with something like Orion rising over the house.

Archived