SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Computerized Equatorial Mount

citaylor

Hello. Im interested in purchasing a computerized equatorial mount (something like an EQ3 pro or EQ5), and I'd ideally like to control it using a PC.

Firstly, I notice full go-to mounts are pretty expensive. Is there an option of getting something more simple, and using the PC with appropriate software to drive the mount (for example just a motorized mount) ?

Secondly, if there is, do I save any significant money by not having the go-to computer on the mount ?

and Thirdly, what would be the best software to drive the mount ?

Thanks a lot...

The EQMOD software controls a range of Sky Watcher mounts, details here

EQMOD

Being an ASCOM driver for telescopes, EQMOD can be used with a range of planetarium software (Stellarium, Cartes du Ciel, etc)

Syntrek versions of Skywatcher mounts are significantly cheaper than Synscan versions. The difference being the Synscan handset contains the Goto smarts, whereas in Syntrek mounts, the Goto functions are relegated to a computer (and the Syntrek handset is not used).

Thanks for the info.

I presume there is no EQ3 Syntrek ? (Cant find anything on google...)

Also (sorry for the further questioning)...what is the difference between the EQ3, NEQ3, EQ3 pro and EQ3-2 pro ? All the different designations are confusing.

Thanks in advance....

Also, bear in mind that there is a market for second-hand SynScan handsets, as people want to upgrade their Syntreks to stand-alone GoTo sometimes. So, if you have to buy it as a package and find you'd rather have the cash, you can sell it.

Archived