SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

CCD camera or digital

Voyager

At the moment I'm just taking photos with a SLR film camera. I've seen DMK 21AU04.AS Mono on FLO, does anyone have one of these & are they any good? Or should I go out and get a digital camera, if so can someone recommend me one under the £500 mark?

A lot of people used these DMKs for planetary imaging and there are a lot of spectacular results. The video feed out of these camera is uncompressed and the astro version had the hot mirror removed. However, they are uncooled, which means they aren't suitable for long exposure.

If you want to do DSO imaging, DSLR are quite cheap nowadays, 1000D or D3100 can be found for under £500. There are a number of entry level cooled CCD for under £500, QHY6, Atik Titan ...

The DMK21 Video camera, is an excellent choice if you are into lunar and planetary imaging. The mono version will require you to use colour filters if you want to produce colour images.

Fot planets, you will also need an amplifying lens, such as a TeleVue Powermate x5.

A DSLR Canon 400D, 450D, 100D, are colour cameras, and widely used for astrophotography, and produce excellent results.

Not so good on Moon or Planets, but I say that reservedly, as some might not agree. If you intend Deep Sky work with a DSLR, it will probably require modification to it's filter, to make it more responsive to Hydrogen Alpha, which is the major Gas in large Nebulae.

Ron.

Archived