Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Carbon Brush

Nottinghamshire Light Pollution.

Could there be darkness at the end of the tunnel?

Notts County Council have been talkng about the turn off & dimming of a number of lights. But in the eyes of the public, this has been only talk. No sign of action.

Today I have found post on the NCC web site that suggests some small steps are being taken shortly.

Watch this space!

Street Lighting Energy Saving - Nottinghamshire County Council

http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/streetlightingapprovedprogramme.pdf

For me, I will believe it when I can see the sky again. I'm sorry to say that I have heard of loads of 'projects' over the years that have come to nothing.

For me, I will believe it when I can see the sky again. I'm sorry to say that I have heard of loads of 'projects' over the years that have come to nothing.

Hi David

I saw this as well

and like you will believe it when I see it

I do hope so on all levels

The scare mongers have started and I have a fear that if they turn off the street lights we will be swamped with 1000w halogen insecurity lights

Steve

Edited by Ibbo !

Hi Steve.

A fellow doubter!

Reading the 'small print' in the timetable, I note that the places/dates in the PDF appear to be for surveys and consideration. Not actually pulling the plug.

May I suggest Notts SGL members use local knowledge to take pictures and write to NCC in advance of the survey dates in their area? This might make 'em realise there are people who want lights off and are watching what happens. For my bit, my work area comes up soon and my home next year. I will though be putting in my views for all familiar areas.

The quote that got me was (I am doing this from memory)something like this

It will affect children going to and from school

What between the hours of Midnight and 5am ???!!!!!

Steve

There was a 15 seconds piece on the local news yesterday, about how derbyshire is thinking about dimming etc to save money...

fingers crossed...

Good luck, anyway. I hope it happens. I fled from the Notts and Derby area but more to avoid cloud than light, since the Peak is not too bad.

Olly

I found the quote

Some critics in part of Derbyshire said they feared the change might adversely affect elderly road users and school children in the winter months.

not quite what I said

Can't comment on Nottinghamshire (but good luck!), what I can say as I ease my way back into Astronomy after an almost 25-year break, is that domestic security lights are now everywhere :), and that night-flights by planes have gone up a heck of a lot!

Some of the local councils in the South Wales Valleys were also talking about dimming, and in some cases turning off street lighting after midnight. The suggestion was withdrawn after very stiff local opposition.

I do not think this battle will be won until the public realise that reduced street lighting does not mean that the murder/crime rate will go through the roof.

Edited by reddoss

That is very true, and I have no idea how we can convince them of that.

May I suggest the ££££ stick accompanied by photos. If you look at my earlier posts in SGL, I came up with figures about fuel burn to keep lights on. Photos showing taxpayers money turing the sky orange, etc. Much of this has been passed by me to Notts County Council. But I am only one voice. A few hundred voices county wide might do more I can alone.