Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Nottinghamshire Light Pollution.

Carbon Brush

Could there be darkness at the end of the tunnel?

Notts County Council have been talkng about the turn off & dimming of a number of lights. But in the eyes of the public, this has been only talk. No sign of action.

Today I have found post on the NCC web site that suggests some small steps are being taken shortly.

Watch this space!

Street Lighting Energy Saving - Nottinghamshire County Council

http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/streetlightingapprovedprogramme.pdf

For me, I will believe it when I can see the sky again. I'm sorry to say that I have heard of loads of 'projects' over the years that have come to nothing.

For me, I will believe it when I can see the sky again. I'm sorry to say that I have heard of loads of 'projects' over the years that have come to nothing.

Hi David

I saw this as well

and like you will believe it when I see it

I do hope so on all levels

The scare mongers have started and I have a fear that if they turn off the street lights we will be swamped with 1000w halogen insecurity lights

Steve

Hi Steve.

A fellow doubter!

Reading the 'small print' in the timetable, I note that the places/dates in the PDF appear to be for surveys and consideration. Not actually pulling the plug.

May I suggest Notts SGL members use local knowledge to take pictures and write to NCC in advance of the survey dates in their area? This might make 'em realise there are people who want lights off and are watching what happens. For my bit, my work area comes up soon and my home next year. I will though be putting in my views for all familiar areas.

Can't comment on Nottinghamshire (but good luck!), what I can say as I ease my way back into Astronomy after an almost 25-year break, is that domestic security lights are now everywhere :), and that night-flights by planes have gone up a heck of a lot!

Some of the local councils in the South Wales Valleys were also talking about dimming, and in some cases turning off street lighting after midnight. The suggestion was withdrawn after very stiff local opposition.

I do not think this battle will be won until the public realise that reduced street lighting does not mean that the murder/crime rate will go through the roof.

May I suggest the ££££ stick accompanied by photos. If you look at my earlier posts in SGL, I came up with figures about fuel burn to keep lights on. Photos showing taxpayers money turing the sky orange, etc. Much of this has been passed by me to Notts County Council. But I am only one voice. A few hundred voices county wide might do more I can alone.

Archived