sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

EOS350D over usb to APT unreliability / lockups?

Mike_F

Hi, hoping someone else has seen something like this.

Am using these cloudy nights to get all my recently assembled imaging kit up and working together indoors, in anticipation of the next clear patch. (If it ever happens!) I've hit a weird problem with my 350D and APT - wonder if anyone else has seen it.

I'm using a self-made bulb-mode cable on COM1, and APT talking to the camera through a standard USB to mini-usb cable. I'm finding that after working nicely for 10/20 shots - the camera will stop responding. APT reports it as "BUSY". If I stop what APT is doing, disconnect the USB cable, pull the battery out of the camera and then plug it in again, it all springs back to life.

If I just reset the camera by turning it on/off at the switch - and not going through the usb cable disconnect/bettery out rigmarole - when I turn it back on, it just flashes "busy" on the LCD display on the back of the camera, and APT can't talk to it.

I've got the last-issued Canon firmware installed (1.0.3), the latest drivers installed for it in XP, have swapped USB cables, tried direct connection to the laptop rather than through the powered USB hub at the mount - everything I can think of.

Nothing however seems to make the camera more reliable and less prone to these lockups.

Anyone else seen this?

Hmmm, I had a similar sounding issue a while back. Not exactly the same, but the BUSY issue defo rings a bell. I found that the problem was solved by getting a really good DC-DC converter to step my 12V power tank down to 7.5V for the camera. All of the issues were down to the camera not getting enough juice. Touch wood, everything crossed, it's all been running very reliably since. Would it be possible for you to try an external power source rather than the standard battery?

Thanks sametheeagle - that's a good suggestion. I'll look into what's required to power the camera externally. (Hopefully there's something other than the shamefully expensive "ACK-DC20" I've found by Googling so far.)

Thanks sametheeagle - that's a good suggestion. I'll look into what's required to power the camera externally. (Hopefully there's something other than the shamefully expensive "ACK-DC20" I've found by Googling so far.)

Astronomiser http://www.astronomiser.co.uk/ does a range of 12v external camera power supplies that are very reliable, I have several powering Canon 40D, 5D MkII and 7D cameras.

It is probably worth your while joining the Astroplace yahoo group that Ivo has set up to support APT. Astroplace : APT - Astro Photography Tool

Edited by Photosbykev

I was going to point this out: Digital Camera 2500mA Switched Mode Power Supply Free Delivery : Maplin But apparently it's discontinued :icon_eek: Checking store stock says that the Swindon store has 22 in stock however, so it could be worth calling them? Not sure if that's any more reasonable, but I'd guess it will be.

The Canon cameras use a dummmy battery connected to a regulated dc power supply providing around 7.4-7.5v, this replaces the original camera battery in the camera body. The maplin unit doesn't provide the correct voltage which needs to be accurately set.

But it does appear to come with an appropriate dummy battery but the looks of the picture... That's the really hard thing to get hold of. Of course people have purchased a real battery, and carefully taken it apart so that they can wire in a DC power supply. I'm sure I've seen that on the forums here in fact.

Edit: http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/59877-canon-350d-power-adapter.html

Edited by samtheeagle

Astronomiser Astronomiser - Automated Astronomy and AstroImaging Solutions does a range of 12v external camera power supplies that are very reliable, I have several powering Canon 40D, 5D MkII and 7D cameras.

Aha, 25 quid! That's a tad better than the £50-£70 for the official Canon rip-off device. Sweet! Will be placing an order a little later. Cheers Kev!

It is probably worth your while joining the Astroplace yahoo group that Ivo has set up to support APT. Astroplace : APT - Astro Photography Tool

Another good call, although TBH - I never suspected APT was at fault. I've seen the same behaviour with my 350D when controlling it from a Linux box via a native Linux driver & command line tool. Back when that happened I suspected it was a Linux issue - now I'm seeing the same thing on XP I know better. :D

In addition, a little Googling reveals a lot of people complaining about the same symptoms - but nobody's got any real solutions - apart from the diamond geezers on SGL of course.. :)

Order pending - let's see where it takes us. Cheers all!

Mike.

• 2 weeks later...

Astronomiser power cable / dummy battery has arrived. Finally got around to trying it out - and.. (drum roll.. ) Success! :(

I instantly ran off two series of 100 exposures without a single lock-up. Looks like it was indeed power all along - despite the battery being fully charged.

Many thanks to samtheeagle and Photosbykev! :)