Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

'First-Light' 60mm SolarMax + BF30 solar prominence image.

Coleshill Astronomy

Lots of cloud over the past few weeks.

The only opportunity I have had to use my new h-alpha scope (a Christmas present from my wife Sonia and an upgrade from my PST) was a few days ago, 9 January. I just had time to image some nice but small prominences before the low altitude Winter Sun hid behind a row of trees.

...Looking forward to clearer skies, a higher Sun and the longer days of Spring! :icon_eek:

Dave

coleshill-astronomy-albums-solar-picture8437-first-light-image-new-scope-60mm-solarmax-bf30-filter-combo-80mm-vixen-cg4-dmk31au03.jpg

@mattifor, yes the prominences were imaged using my DMK31 at prime focus. A big improvement from the images I captured previously with my SPC900NC.

@Olly, thanks... I like Photoshop 'layers'. An easy, fast way to nudge various elements of the image around till they look ok.

Dave

@sheri_barri: thanks... I've been using a PST for the past couple of years, so looking forward to making the most of this upgrade.

@Stardust: Purchasing the DMK31 was the best thing I ever did; a step up from an SPC900NC webcam which I used with my Coronado PST and 8" Meade. The improvement in sharpness and resolution is quite amazing, especially when imaging the moon.

Dave

I was afraid you'd say that!

I'm playing with an old Atic which I think is just a modded web cam. I've had some results on Jupiter but not any great Moon shots. Granted I haven't had a lot of time with it but nothing stands out as a better image than the rest.

I'll have to look into this a bit more.

cheers

Dave

Archived