Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Barlow Advice

Hello,

I have a 2x Barlow that came in the EP set they I purchased when I got my first scope. I am now thinking of getting another one this time a bit higher.

Are there any rules in terms of magnification, power ratios etc.. when choosing or is it a case of getting the higest rating?

I have seen the TAL 3x and the Revelation 5x and undecided which to go for.

My scope is a Celestron 102SLT

The 'rating' is only a multiplication factor. The 2x will take what ever power the eyepiece produces and double it. The 3x will triple the power of any eyepiece and so forth. The 3/4/5x are more for the planetary imagers who need to boost the focal ratio of their telescope.

What counts more is the quality of the optics in the barlow. A good bet at the budget end of the scale is the Tal 2x.

You might find that a x5 is over cooking it for your size of scope if you combine it with the higher power eyepieces so in practice it may not give you much more flexibility.

I recently aquired a Tal x3 which is a good investment according to the searches I did on the forum and the one time I have been able to use it (thanks to the crummy weather!) it was prettt good compared to my x2 when linked to the webcam.

I only ever use Barlows for imaging. I prefer to have a nice set of eyepieces (my preferred ones are a 4, 9, and 28mm, on my 250mm f/4.8 Newt), so unless you're planning to do some imaging straight away, I'd suggest getting a decent eyepiece. Even with nice Barlows like Televues, I've found the view is never as good as through an equivalent eyepiece.

Just my preference.

I only ever use Barlows for imaging. I prefer to have a nice set of eyepieces (my preferred ones are a 4, 9, and 28mm, on my 250mm f/4.8 Newt), so unless you're planning to do some imaging straight away, I'd suggest getting a decent eyepiece. Even with nice Barlows like Televues, I've found the view is never as good as through an equivalent eyepiece.

Just my preference.

Ooo, quite the opposite for me. I would much prefer to use a 10mm with a 2x than a 5mm or 4mm every time.

Ooo, quite the opposite for me. I would much prefer to use a 10mm with a 2x than a 5mm or 4mm every time.

Like I said. personal preference! I feel I am spolit by my TMB 4mm eyepiece which is really superb, and amazing value at around £40.

Archived