Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Rosette Nebula & NGC 2244 (HaOiiiRGB)

Aggelos Kechagias

Greetings everybody.

You can see my latest work Here

Thanks for looking :icon_eek:

info:

Locations : Corinth - Greece & Keratea Athens

Telescopes : astro-tech 65ed quadruplet for RGB + William Optics ed70 for HA Oiii

Ccd : QHY 9

Mount : ASA DDM60

Guiding : unguided

Field flattener : astrotech for w.o. ed70

Gain/Offset : 30% - 106

Temp : -25

Exposures : Ha bin 1x1 18x1200sec RGB bin 2x2 10x300sec Οiii bin 3x3 12x600sec

Calibration files : Darks - Bias - Flats - Dark Flats .

Applications : Nebulosity - Photoshop - Maxim - Pixinsight - Cartes du ciel - Autoslew.

That's a beautiful Rosette Aggelos. In many images of this, the star colour is lost, but you've done a great job here.

What method did you use for combining the RGB with the narrowband data?

Very tastefully applied diffraction spikes too :icon_eek:

Cheers

Rob

Thank you all guys.

My method was..

1.I'm creating 2 folders 1 for rgb and the second one for Luminance (if you don't have L you can use the same rgb data but desaturated.Don't forget to set the blending modes to color and Luminosity for each folder.

2.In Rgb folder i have my Rgb and my Ha + Oiii.

3.In Luminance folder i have my b&w rgb + b&w Ha-Oiii

4.Right click to Ha (in rgb folder) open the blending options and uncheck G&B.Now you have a red Ha.Do the same for Oiii but uncheck R&G.

5.Set the blending mode to Lighten or Screen for Ha & Oiii (play with opacity).

6.If you have wierd colors on stars from Ha and Oiii you can select only stars and you can cut them (with feather 1) and delete them.

7.Now in the Luminance folder set the L data to normal and above that you will have Oiii and Ha.Set Ha and Oiii to multiply and play with opacity.

8.After a few tweaks with opacity on every layer you will get a real nice image.

If you have too much red or blue background you can set the black point too low (this tip is for Ha + Oiii in Rgb folder).

9.After a good result we can flatten the image and some tweaks with selective color we can do the final job.

10.If i get some flat white stars i'm using "select stars" from Astronomy Tools and i'm using gaussian blur (0.3-1).With this trick you will have nice and non flat stars.

11.For more colorfull stars i'm using "increase star color" from Astronomy Tools.

hope this will help you guys.

• 5 weeks later...

Apologies for late post on this thread but being new to astrophotography and having recently made a very poor attempt at the Rosette Nebula I am in awe of your image.

There is a lot in the kit I don’t understand so I may well be too ignorant to even be in the game here but “unguided”!? You are managing those exposures unguided? I am just about to make the step to ‘guiding’ as I am not getting above 45 – 60 seconds unguided without star trails.

What am I missing?

Any help or advice much appreciated.

Cheers,

Steve.

Apologies for late post on this thread but being new to astrophotography and having recently made a very poor attempt at the Rosette Nebula I am in awe of your image.

There is a lot in the kit I don’t understand so I may well be too ignorant to even be in the game here but “unguided”!? You are managing those exposures unguided? I am just about to make the step to ‘guiding’ as I am not getting above 45 – 60 seconds unguided without star trails.

What am I missing?

Any help or advice much appreciated.

Cheers,

Steve.

The clue is in the mount. The ASA is an unusual design that is intended to work unguided by using high accuracy encoders to correct the tracking.

Thanks for the info on your workflow, which has produced something very exceptional. Keep the images coming,

Olly

Archived