Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

TheBFG

Physics boffin wanted

The Idea:

Imagine a record deck setup ie a fixed outer surface and a circle inside which is free to spin. You then line magnets up at a 45 angle on both edges with poles facing each other pushing each other appart. Would this then be a continuous cycle of poles pushing and if a magnetic pulse travels at the speed of light then a well built model would spin the disk at close to LS?

The bearing just started to grind after a cople of minutes of rotation may have been weight but got me thinking maybe :icon_eek:

Edited by TheBFG

BFG, if you have a working model of this, please discuss further, don't just give up on it.

DID THIS BURN YOUR BEARINGS OUT?

Nah that looks like some type of wheel mine done with just magnetic pulses (although not pulses seems to be the failing spot) lol

I did grant but my engineering side is bad even with a wooden prototype it burnt out the bearings i contacted engineering firm they quoted me £3000+ and that was about 7 years ago

If you keep making like poles push against each other then you will eventually demagnetise both magnets.

If you keep making like poles push against each other then you will eventually demagnetise both magnets.

Another thing I didnt know this hence me wanting a physics boffin :icon_eek:

Problem i that in a rotating closed environment they first have to push past each other to get the the position where they repel. That absorbs energy from the system.

You cannot use electricity to creata magnetic pulse as that requires you to input the electricity.

Solar is not perpetual because the system is not closed it is getting an energy input from the sun and whatever solar converters are used.

To be perpetual the whole system has to be closed with no input of energy from any source.

Ok, so it may not be perpetual, but it can certainly work.

BFG, do you have any pics or drawings you could share.

As with many projects, you just need a different opinion, or idea.

Ah but it is possible to get energy from two different ways. 1.) turbine energy 2.) electricity from passing a magnet past a coil of wire (This would be happening lots of times with many magnets)

Ok i have created an image in imaging heres the link (lol remember very very basic diagram)

Essentially, if it purports to be a perpetual motion machine, it isn't. I'm not trying to have a go at the OP, it's just reality I'm afraid.

I understand your drawing, but you said you had "burnt out bearings".

Do you have pics of your wooden model?

Fire away, been paid to play with lasers and stuff for quite a while, this could make a change! Anyhow what you need is measurements, which is something I might also be able help.

PEterW

It is not perpetual motion, it is an efficient use of magnetic energy, and as previously stated, eventually the magnets in use will demagnetise, the crux here is:- is it possible to obtain enough energy from it to sustain enough magnetic power to drive the Motors, this would be very unlikely as soon as you try to take "energy" out of the system you invariably will force the system to fail.

The device reaches a stable configuration when the inner disc has its magnets positioned between the magnets of the outer disc. There is then no net force and it can stand still. If you give it a push it will move a bit, then return to the static configuration.

Oh, I would be interested to hear this idea :)

Although as I'm sure it won't work as a physicist, the 2nd law of thermodynamics is the ultimate truth to me ;)

But it would be interesting to hear it out :)

It's good to try and plenty of ideas have been disparaged by accepted wisdom and then proved to be correct (tectonic plates, peptic ulcers, etc) but the 2nd Law of Thermodynaics is pretty basic and, as we know from Scotty, "ye canny break the laws of physics"

If your design contradicts the laws of Thermodynamics, then it is unworkable.

Simples.

"Bart! We obey the laws of Thermodynamics in our house!!"

(Homer simpson)