SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

'Sale' Forum? Where is it?

wolfytom

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

e-bay is dodgy at best. You never know who you are buying from or whether they are legit or not. The average amateur astronomer is an enthusiast who will look after their kit, so you are almost assured of getting a decent second hand bargain.

From what I've seen of Astro Buy & Sell I'm not impressed at all

What's wrong with Astro buy and sell? I've pick up a few good deals there and it is the most active astro equipment classified in the country, much more active than SGL's sale section. The UK astro community is much smaller than America's, so don't expect the level of activities you see in Astromart or Cloudynight classified.

Ebay may be a bit doggy, but if you know what you are buying, you can get some good deals.

27x posts all saying 'welcome' have been removed. Please don't look for ways to bypass rules designed to benefit and protect SGL's community. If your interested in SGL only as a source of secondhand kit please consider other more appropriate websites like Ebay or Astro Buy/Sell.

That is plain ridiculous!

I spent an hour or two posting welcomes to new members. The above posts stress how positive such posts made them feel about the forum. You are making a judgement call as to whether I meant it or not!

Do you want me to go through the list of posts to find the thousands of examples of brief welcome messages?

Why is it that forums such as these always end up blighted by people who feel they can make such ridiculous jdgements as the one you have made.

Why should you make such a judgement call. I say 'welcome' and you delete it!

Unbelievable!

And on top of that, you believe you can tell me what I should use this forum for. If I wanted to use it for buying secondhand gear, surely I can?

As it happens, you're seriously wrong. I have already learnt a great deal and hope to continue to do so, However, I must admit my time here has soured already.

I attended a stargazing live event at Glyndwr Uni tonight and considered writing a post about it but really, why would I bother given your self-righteous and judgemental attitude?

That is plain ridiculous!

I spent an hour or two posting welcomes to new members. The above posts stress how positive such posts made them feel about the forum. You are making a judgement call as to whether I meant it or not!

Do you want me to go through the list of posts to find the thousands of examples of brief welcome messages?

Why is it that forums such as these always end up blighted by people who feel they can make such ridiculous jdgements as the one you have made.

Why should you make such a judgement call. I say 'welcome' and you delete it!

Unbelievable!

And on top of that, you believe you can tell me what I should use this forum for. If I wanted to use it for buying secondhand gear, surely I can?

As it happens, you're seriously wrong. I have already learnt a great deal and hope to continue to do so, However, I must admit my time here has soured already.

I think that upsetting genuine people who are trying to make you welcome is not a good move. as a member on this forum for a number of years (I may not be a prolifiic poster-but i only contibute when I feel it makes a difference) We sometimes get people who are new and shout out and stamp their feet like petulant children because they have been sussed.

I think that upsetting genuine people who are trying to make you welcome is not a good move. as a member on this forum for a number of years (I may not be a prolifiic poster-but i only contibute when I feel it makes a difference) We sometimes get people who are new and shout out and stamp their feet like petulant children because they have been sussed.

Strange way to make someone feel welcome...

Unlike saying 'Welcome'!

?.

That didn't need a full stop.

You said 'I think that upsetting genuine people who are trying to make you welcome is not a good move'.

I suggested deleting my welcome posts was a strange way to make me feel welcome.

Unlike my posts he deleted which said 'welcome'!

Guys.. no offence but the for sale forum is not worth any kind of heated discussion. most of the things sold on here are also posted on AB&S as it has a greater audience.

whatever the reasons for the rules on 50 posts. they are the rules of the forum,

This forum is full of people with lots of experience and skill who are willing to help and encourage each other. that is the most valuable part of this forum and will save much time and disappointment.

That didn't need a full stop.

How about calming down, accepting and abiding by the rules of the community you have very recently joined, which are there for good reasons, and then you can enjoy all that SGL has to offer while sharing what you have to contribute as well.

You say you have learned a great deal in you short time here - thats great and it's because people have taken the time to post their knowledge and experience here.

The Glyndwr Uni event sound interesting, so tell us about it. Share what you have learned :icon_eek:

Posting a mass of Welcome's is considered to be spamming in order to get the post count up purely to gain access to the For Sale section.

Whether or not you meant the sentiments is not in question, it is the manner in which you attempted to raise your post count.

We have had, and continue to have, people who try and use SGL soley as a means to trade and make money from the members. This is not what SGL was set up for and it is something we rigourously enforce.

Posting a mass of Welcome's is considered to be spamming in order to get the post count up purely to gain access to the For Sale section.

Whether or not you meant the sentiments is not in question, it is the manner in which you attempted to raise your post count.

We have had, and continue to have, people who try and use SGL soley as a means to trade and make money from the members. This is not what SGL was set up for and it is something we rigourously enforce.

I resent the presumption that I am some kind of con artist.

For examples of those compare the list of names referred to by one of your members posting above of those members who buy stuff here and then flog it on, at a significant profit, on AstroBuySell.

Perhaps they're members of the clique?

I never intimated you were a con-artist.

I simply explained the reason behind the actions that were taken in the hope you would understand our position.

As far as we possibly can, we try and ensure that SGL remains a fair playing field for all, and in the past some people have taken liberties and the rules were subsequently imposed.

I never intimated you were a con-artist.

I simply explained the reason behind the actions that were taken in the hope you would understand our position.

As far as we possibly can, we try and ensure that SGL remains a fair playing field for all, and in the past some people have taken liberties and the rules were subsequently imposed.

A more reasoned response. Thank you.

When i first joined this forum i was disappointed that i needed 50 posts to view the For Sale section...Especially when i was just starting...I thought buying from SGL memebers would be a good place to start, looked after equipment etc..But after reading reasons why 50 posts were in place i fully understood their reasoning..Since able to view the for sale section, most items are found on Astro Buy/Sell...So any new members who feel they are missing out really arent!!....Id say this forum is a good place to be a part of, lots of help,friendly advice and run very well....:icon_eek:

I am glad there is a 50 post + 1 month rule on the SGL 'for sale' forum. It's an added layer of security which you don't get with some other forums or sites. The 1 month rule will deter spammer who can't wait and 50 post rule will deter trader who just want to make a quick buck. This rule probably saved us from non related spam ads like those puppies ads on ABS a few weeks ago.

If I was the owner/admin of SGL, I would personally have the buy/sale section 75-125 post and 2 months rules. I have seen alot of people posting about buy/sale section.

I have posted a couple in welcome tread and some various other threads to get my post count. ( not in a spamming kind of way ) I don't intend to buy or sell anything at for sale section but I like to have a wee peek to see what people are selling and how much they are selling for. So if I want to buy something, I'll know a good estimate of a 2nd hand stuff.

Mind to read the rules, That's what I did.

At the risk of inflaming this its worth mentioning that the board is supplied fee of charge and controlled by the mods who are unpaid volunteers to create a great community and one of the friendliest on the web.

The mods work very hard on here and its a tough row to hoe but they do it well and its a big job thats often thankless.

Sure we could have a forum with no rules, you'd then be able to see the for sale section, problem is there would be no decent kit for sale cos the people who have it are the more experienced folk and they would simply not stay on the board because it would be an unmoderated mess and full of spam.

I have been online since before the internet on all sorts of forums and believe me I have seen many, at one time, great resources just disappear in a welter of spam and political/ religious arguments.

So please, respect the fact that the forum is here for everyone and it has to protect itself ans its members with certain rules. If you dont like them then either live with them or join another board. Some people have chosen that second option and found out later this really is the best board out there.

I am not a mod or admin and sometimes I have disagreed with stuff on here BUT I accept that mods have a tough call at times and am adult enough go accept its not all about me.

I know without the mods there are times I wouldhave made the best post I wished I had never posted :icon_eek:

Mel

To resolve the situation, I'd make posts in the welcome area not count to the post count. That way the social interaction is based on people's want to interact rather than post count whilst those that contribute to the main area are actively involved in discussions.

Another forum that I frequent has a 200 post rule. Although I think the 1 month is good too. After all 1-2 months is likely to shoot past - watched kettle and all.

Wolfytom - whereas I can appreciate the frustration (I'd like to see if there's kit in there), it is a judgement call by those that are responsible for running the forum as to what constitutes "in the spirit". Them be the rules, accept them and I think the 1 month and 50 posts will shoot past.

Guess i wont be welcoming any fellow noobs any more. Dont want the admins to think im pushing my posts up just to get 50. I am mainly on here so that when i do buy my first scope i can get some help choosing the correct one and also to find out about the local clubs that i can visit.

I think that if anybody was bumping up their post count with quick welcome posts, then they will be sorely dissapointed when they realise there is a one month rule in place too. If somebody averages just 2 posts each day then they will reach their 50 posts before the month is up. That is pretty easy to do once you get involved with the forum.

I do feel the frustration of new members not being able to see the buy and sell forum, I felt it too. The thought that there is a magical Aladdin's cave of astro kit that you cannot see can be frustrating. But if the rule protects any good value kit from being snapped up by traders and sold on a at much higher price then it does its job. Plus, as has been said before there is always Astro Buy and Sell.

Cheers,

Chris

Archived