An evening with the 30s clusterS

WayBig

As Saturday was my first night out for months and auriga as looking lovely i decided to refamiliarise myself with some clusters.

First I stepped a few numbers back, sticking with clusters and went to m34, finding it with bins first then with the dob. Then onto 35. Using the sky safari picture on my ipod i noticed a small open cluster ngc2158 close by and thought i could just pick that out with averted vision.

Then on to Auriga, taking my time over 36, 37 and 38.

I had my new copy of "the illustrated guide to astronomical wonders" and using the charts there I managed to pick out ngc1931 and ngc1907 close by to the clusters.

It was nice to become reacquainted with my scope, and also to pick out a few new (for me) objects from the new book.

Those Auriga clusters are great have you looked at my reports for clusters

http://stargazerslounge.com/observing-reports/120931-cluster-hunting-10-dob.html

http://stargazerslounge.com/observing-reports/124510-more-clusters.html

Not managed 1931 yet, I'll probably struggle where I am perhaps until it's overhead.

I've moved on from Turn Left to the Illustrated Guide... it certainly is a useful tool though I tend to use stellarium to find stuff , laptop perched on the wheelie bin!

Andy

Sounds a good night if you could spot 2158..excellent books that illustrated guide to AW...

Have you seen the "37" cluster above Orion, thats quite a special grouping..

Mark

That's on my "to see" list, Orion was a bit too low whan I was out, I'll try it soon though

As Saturday was my first night out for months and auriga as looking lovely i decided to refamiliarise myself with some clusters.

First I stepped a few numbers back, sticking with clusters and went to m34, finding it with bins first then with the dob. Then onto 35. Using the sky safari picture on my ipod i noticed a small open cluster ngc2158 close by and thought i could just pick that out with averted vision.

Then on to Auriga, taking my time over 36, 37 and 38.

I had my new copy of "the illustrated guide to astronomical wonders" and using the charts there I managed to pick out ngc1931 and ngc1907 close by to the clusters.

It was nice to become reacquainted with my scope, and also to pick out a few new (for me) objects from the new book.

I was on those clusters and NGC 1931 too the following evening.

First time I have viewed 1931 - managed to resolve 5 stars, including the asterism of 3 at its centre, and got a beautiful view of the reflection nebulosity that surrounds it. Began a sketch but the cloud rolled in, so I need to get back out there and finish it!

Archived